Pages

Saturday 14 November 2009

A Little Break from Dresses

My father and stepmother are coming to visit for 2 weeks and while I am looking forward to their visit the downside is that I lose my sewing room for that whole time. So I didn't want to start a new dress pattern only to have to abandon it for 2 weeks, but I did want to sew something. A knit top seemed like the perfect thing so I pulled out a recently purchased Simplicity Project Runway pattern, 2733 and some bright blue rayon jersey and got to work.

I would probably buy more Simplicity patterns in this range if I could see what the heck was going on, you have to open up the patterns to get all the line drawings. I confess I really only bought this one for the gathered sleeve. [Oh, I take it all back, the Simplicity website has undergone a major revamp, you can see the line drawings and zoom in on the pattern envelopes. Good for Simplicity (bad for my bank balance and pattern stash!).]



I made a couple of changes to this version, leaving off the pockets and changing the gathered front to a flat front. I think the top as photographed on the pattern is very cute but I fear on me I would look very pregnant and I wasn't in the mood for experimenting!

The alteration was quite straightforward, first I attached the pocket and front piece together to make a single pattern piece and then folded out the excess originally added for gathers at the centre front and another fold in the middle of the pattern piece, then added a bit back at the side seam so that it would still be wide enough at the hips. Probably not the professional way to do it, but it worked and was easy to do.





35 comments:

  1. Your top is super cute - great job - I love the length!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really like that Alison , I never gave that pattern a second glance but yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new top is so flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute. With the changes you made, it falls nicely in the front -- it definitely doesn't give you a faux baby bulge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful top and I absolutely love that colour - you look wonderful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I LOVE the modifications you made to this top, and the color is gorgeous!!! I totally passed this one by because I didn't like the pockets and front gathers. The next sale they have I am going to purchase this pattern and copy. Hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful top!!! The color is so pretty. That is nice of you to give up your sewing room. My sewing room is my extra bedroom so I just took up the bed in there so I would not have anywhere for people to stay, other than the couch--isn't that awful? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Allison! I had the same thought about leaving the pockets off...good to see the theory in practice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sleeves are super cute. I love all the options this pattern has, never noticed it before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute top! I wouldn't have noticed that pattern but next time they go on sale I might have to look for this one (not that I need any new patterns).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute top! I would have turned and ran away from this one, expecting to have that "with child" look. But it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am 110 percent in love with the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outstanding! Another winner - this looks perfect on you.

    SherryV

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice top and the pattern has some good variations. Like what you did and it looks great on you in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you--the sleeves are wonderful! Gorgeous color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything about this top: The color, the sleeves and the draping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The sleeves are great! What a flattering cut, too. I'm sure you'll get a ton of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I bought that pattern ages ago but haven't gotten around to making it. I should really find something to make it out of!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute top! I think I may have to go get this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable! I love the changes you made on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute! I never looked at these patterns really, must do that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. very nice, color looks good on you. I was just telling someone how much nicer Simplicity patterns are now that they have partnered with Project Runway.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great top. The changes you made were perfect. And the color is terrific on you.

    Cissie

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great color on you! And really nice top.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very, very pretty!! It is a cute top in a great color!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Colour fits you well, you look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! This looks fantastic. You took this pattern to another level and the color looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohhh Beautiful!!!
    I Love it!!!
    And the color fantástic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The colour is perfect for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like that Alison , I never gave that pattern a second glance but yours is lovely.

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete