One of my trips was to Devon in the UK for a family wedding and I really wanted to make something new to wear. I found some gorgeous silk crepe and planned to make the Matthew Williamson designer dress from Burda Style 09/2012 - 134 that has been on my list for ages and even (gasp!) made a muslin which turned out to be a good move as I realised I would prefer it with a lower v neckline. I started to look at other patterns to modify it and realised I had already made a very similar dress - Burda Style 07/2011 - 110 so I dug that out instead.
Plan A and Plan B respectively
You can see the previous version here, this time around I left off the pockets and tried to give the fabric the treatment it deserved by underlining it with silk organza and lining in silk. The end result feels incredibly luxurious to wear, but I won't lie it took an age to do - and the dress still wrinkled after sitting although it fared pretty well being pulled straight out of a suitcase the night before. I also switched the zip to the centre back to make it easier to fine tune the fit not to mention getting the dress on and off without messing up hair and makeup!
I wore it at the wedding with nude suede shoes and some gold jewellery. The wedding was on Easter Saturday and luckily it was sunny, I did have to borrow my husbands jacket for champagne and canapés which were served outside while millions of official photographs were taken, but otherwise the dress did its job well.
Not that I had options where I bought the fabric, but my colour choice wasn't the smartest. I have another wedding to attend here in Hong Kong this month and while I don't think it will be a traditional chinese wedding, I still feel it's a bit of a no no to wear red - rather like a guest wearing white to a western wedding. So I will have a rummage through my wardrobe and decide if I want to make something new or not. This may mean I have to go fabric shopping again, how terrible!!!