I don't often make or wear shorts for the very simple reason that I don't look very good in them, but on vacation I chill out a bit and care much less about these things! So I decided to add a new pair in a colour to my extensive 2 pair shorts wardrobe!
I used this basic pattern from 06/2013 - 111 in a bright orangy red lightweight cotton sateen. I think it is a bit too lightweight for this pattern and the legs stick out wider than the line drawing would suggest, also due to the fabric choice I suspect. I might take them in or I might just accept that these won't get worn very often and perhaps try them in a better fabric. They also wrinkle like crazy. That sounds like a lot of complaints, but I think the pattern is good and well drafted.
I left off the back welt pockets which just seemed like too much work when I'd never use them. Wish I had put in side seam pockets though. Fit wise they are to Burda's usual great standard for pants, I cut my usual 38 at the waist, 40 elsewhere and didn't need to make any other adjustments. Once you've omitted the pockets, construction is really easy and these did not take long to make at all.
Here are some pics of me wearing the same outfit on a recent short trip to Hoi An in Vietnam for my birthday. I have to admit that I am not so mad on my striped top now that I see it in photos, unless you are close enough to see the knot detail, the stripes do make me look a bit lopsided! So not quite an outfit fail, but not one I can get overly excited about. The holiday was lovely though!