Pages

Thursday 7 January 2016

Vogue 1191 Michael Kors Dress (OOP)

I've made this dress twice before on this blog back in 2010 (print here and solid here) and it is unfortunately now out of print so I won't blather on too much about it.  It's designed for 2 way knits and is one of those twisty patterns I still love to make where the pattern pieces bear zero resemblance to the shape they end up in.  

The instructions are a bit confusing in places and the pattern is rated as advanced, but as long as you carefully mark everything, preferably in different colours for different types of markings, and keep the pattern pieces to hand for reference eventually it does look like a dress!



The only change I made was to raise the centre front neckline which although looks very elegant on the model is too low for anyone with any kind of bust or who plans on moving around in the dress.  I showed the pattern adjustment for this in an old post here.  Oh, I also omitted the zipper again, the neckline is plenty wide enough that it is completely unnecessary unless you don't like pulling dresses on over your head.

My fabric is a grey and purple jersey, hard to see the purple in these photos though.  I really like this dress and recommend it if you can find it on sale and like this kind of challenging puzzle.






This is the time of year lots of bloggers reflect on their past year of sewing and make resolutions for the coming year.  My sewing output definitely went downhill in 2015 - partly because I thought my beloved BurdaStyle magazine was awful until August (though I think this is just how I personally felt about fashion in general this year) and also I just felt that I had enough clothes and no burning desire to make more for the sake of it.  Again reflective of my views on current fashions I think.   BurdaStyle has definitely picked up in the last few months though so lets see how 2016 goes.  I still love sewing and goodness knows I love fabric shopping!

Blogging has been a bit slow too and a large part of this is that I find it difficult to take photos of myself and just put off doing it to the point where blogging something I made months before seems pointless.  Now that I have a decent dress form that is pretty identical to my measurements I hope you won't mind too much if I make use of the dress form in more of my posts in future.  




11 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect fabric for that dress. It is stunning. I am finding my clothes sewing amount is cutting back for similar reasons. I feel I need to wear what I have now. I am also further refining what types of clothing I need/wear. All the best in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress and great fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Always fun to return to an old favorite. Have to say that lack of inspiration isn't exactly the reason I had for not doing a lot of sewing in 2015, but I can't say it didn't hurt my mojo either. Very much agree 2015 wasn't my favorite year in fashion, but I'm seeing some trends I do like starting to come around, so this year *could* be very bad for my pattern budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is fantastic. i think this is one of the all time great patterns, so flattering and looks great on the body. I know just what you mean about having a lot of clothes and no need to sew any more. I feel that way often - then I find a great fabric or see a new pattern and just want to make the item for the fun of it. Happy 2016 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dress! I have too many clothes too and therefore lack motivation to make more. And then when I do need something for an occasion, I forget how to do a lot of techniques! And I have far too much fabric that adds to the guilt. Oh well, perhaps 2016 will see some of that turn into garments. Look forward to seeing what you make even if is just shown on the dress form. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress and the fabric is gorgeous. I love those twisty type bodices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! Also I always wish I'd purchased this pattern when it was available and wish Vogue would bring back Kors as a designer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous fabric and it is a lovey style of dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you've used this print. While the pattern isn't around, it's a classic.
    I hope 2016 provides you with all the creative projects you want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The subdued print is perfect for the twist design. Love it.

    ReplyDelete