Pages

Wednesday 4 January 2017

BurdaStyle 04/2011 - 124 Skirt & Style Arc Madeleine Top

Thanks all for the comments on my sequin top, I hope everyone had a great holiday season and that you are ready to see what 2017 brings.  I am loving reading all the 2016 recaps, not sure yet if I will get around to it, I still have things that I haven't blogged yet so I will get going on those first....

Not very sensibly, I decided in the week before Christmas that I wanted a new outfit to wear on the day, but at least I was sensible enough to use straightforward patterns I had made before which cut down on tracing, cutting and fitting time.



The skirt is BurdaStyle 04/2011-124 (previously made as a modified version in green eyelet here).  This time I kept all the seams in the skirt, the only change being to shift the zip from the side back to the side for no other reason than I didn't read the instructions!



I used this floral fabric, something like a jacquard or matelasse, it's quite stiff which works well for a party skirt to give it some structure and I love the dark, moody, oil painting-like quality of the flowers.


Reverse side of fabric showing the texture
Side zip, you can also just see the fabric texture here too


The top is Style Arc's Madeleine Ponte top.  I first made this (here)in a medium weight polyester knit really as a test version so the insides were unfinished and I really rushed it.  I ended up wearing that top until the fabric pilled like mad so a remake or two are long overdue.  This version is much more successful, mostly due to fabric choice - I guess it is called the Madeleine Ponte top for a reason!


I made a size 10 and nipped it in a bit at the waist.  Having made this before, I knew I could get away without the zip so left that off and eliminated the vertical centre back seam also.  The front band does still need to be secured in a few places on the front to keep it in place even in the recommended fabric; I just stitched in the ditch of the seam in a few places.  

I do think this would be easy enough to extend to a sheath dress and I might give that a whirl especially as I now have a healthy (or perhaps that should be unhealthy!) stack of ponte knits.

 

Here I am wearing the pieces together - despite the lack of planning and time spent on the outfit, it really was perfect for the day and it's a combination I will definitely be using again.


I think the print is quite wintery even though it is floral so I tried the skirt with boots and a jacket too for a slightly more dressed down look and to prove that this skirt needn't be just for Christmas!


24 comments:

  1. Beautiful, modern, classic and chic. Perfect for the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both items! The skirt is beautiful! I really like it with the boots and the jacket .

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty - chic! you look stunning in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a dark floral and the way you used this one is perfect. Both stylings of the skirt and top are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crazy in love with dark background florals, mostly because of IG sewing, LOL! I bought some and now that you've made this, I have to sew one up, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ensemble! That top is one of my favorites (in stash but never sewn).

    And I agree that dark florals are always gorgeous to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually skip the Style Arc patterns but that top is tempting me - it looks fantastic. And yes you should make it into a dress. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is quite the fun look. the fabric was perfect for that skirt. so much body!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both the skirt and the top, paired together they're absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfit! The skirt is perfect for that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous outfit! I have been looking for a floral on black and this one is really fabulous. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! Love the pairing of these pieces, and the different styling will make them super versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the skirt fabric and the outfit looks great with boots and jacket - tres chic

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very successful combination! It is really worth it having some TNT patterns when you want to get a garment done in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful outfit! I love both pieces and they pair perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both outfits look great. This skirt turned out to be a very versatile piece for your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love this outfit! Style guides will tell you moody florals are perfect for winter, and I've seen them on bunches of lady talk show hosts, so you are definitely on trend. Also I think a side zip works better in that skirt. The side back is just a weird spot IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice job on both pieces. Thanks for showing the skirt fabric underside. I never would have thought it was that type of fabric. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your new outfit looks fantastic, love the skirt fabric and the top with the extra touch. Brilliant that it works for both summer and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the whole outfit! A print skirt instead of a solid is very refreshing, and likewise for the top! You look beautiful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to see the Madeleine ponte top made up, I will have to try that one! And I love your skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete