The fabric I chose was a bold floral polyester brocade that I purchased in China. While I was working on it I was amazed to see that Goodbye Valentino was working on a dress in the exact fabric. So for once you can actually currently find this fabric at Mood!! - Brocade fabric from Mood.
This is a mix of 2 patterns, both of which are too old to still feature on the BurdaStyle website unfortunately. I found the images on the Russian site for reference.
Bodice - 03/2008 - 119
Skirt - 07/2004 - 134 . Previously made here and once again I left off the chiffon side godet pieces. Also, thank you earlier me for labelling that old blog post so I could find the pattern #.
As usual I didn't leave myself a ton of time to make this so I haven't made many notes or taken many photos of the dress during construction, but let's see what I can remember.....
I interfaced the entire bodice, straightening out the waist seam and moved the darts on the skirt so that they would line up with the princess seams on the bodice.
With this type of dress I like to finish the whole of the outer dress, then make the lining and attach that by hand. I didn't use the neckline facings, instead just reinforcing the neckline edge with some bias tape and then turning to the inside and hand stitching down. To get a nice point on the centre of the front neckline, I used a small remnant of lining fabric, stitched the shape of the point, clipped, understitched and then turned and pressed to the inside. I did the exact same thing on the lining fabric, without the bias tape and remembered to take a few photos which hopefully show better what I am talking about.
|Lining remnant stitched right side together at v neckline & clipped at point|
|View from right side after turning and pressing|
|View from wrong side|
This is how the finished dress looked on the inside before the lining was sewn in. If you make this I recommend cutting the sleeves with a bit extra seam allowance. I am sure that they are intended to be self lined, but mine did not quite meet up in the middle leaving some exposed edges. It didn't matter since I covered this with lining, but still it was a bit annoying!
Finally some more photos taken on the night of the party, these are all phone photos that I had to email to myself (thanks to broken cable connection and probably general tech incompetence) so they are a bit blurry, but hopefully you get the idea! Overall I was really happy in my dress, maybe next time I go to a ball I will wear this again rather than make another one!