Pages

Tuesday 9 June 2009

BWOF 05/2009 - 114 Dress

Firstly thank you so much for the encouraging comments on my jacket, it definitely spurs me on to keep trying new things and be a bit braver with colour and details.

Now you only need to look at this blog for 5 minutes to realise I am not one for planning my sewing.  However as I have been looking at everyone's projects it's clear that I needed/wanted the following;

- clothes for dealing with Hong Kong summers, I'm always unprepared
- more colour and prints
- more dresses

Well tick, tick and tickety-tick, here is a great little summer dress from BWOF that I can see me making again.  

On the hanger (can't wait to get my dressform out of storage - 10 days to go!)

On me - this is a night shot and I can't decide if it's easier to see the details with or without flash so here's both.

This is very easy to make, the pattern is supposed to be cut on the bias and I didn't have enough fabric for a bias layout, but this is a stretch cotton so I figured it would be OK.  It does look closer fitting on me than the model but I think that is more my, erm non-model shape than the bias vs straight grain.  

I used a self fabric drawstring in this version, and remembered to read the cutting instructions this time so I could add in the right seam and hem allowances.  However I didn't read the sewing instructions and incorrectly put in the zipper before adding the neckband, so I had to finish the top of the band with 2 hooks and eyes.  Bit fiddly to do up myself, but better than taking out the zipper I thought!


21 comments:

  1. Nice dress! How exciting, only 10 more days. I have 34 (not that I am counting....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chilly here in Sydney. Your dress gives me sunshine envy. You use great fabrics - love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress and it fits you well. Very pretty print. Enjoy wearing this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous dress! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new dress and think the fit is super. Lots of dresses for summer are in my plans as well - we'll see what actually gets made up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress and super fit! I love the print, what a great wardrobe addition for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty dress that looks great on you. I was wondering about this one --- you've inspired me to make it! The recent issues of Burda really have a lot of great dresses for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should be adventurous more often! This is stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great silhouette and I love that print.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much cuter than the magazine version - I love your fabric as well. Thanks for the heads-up that stretch fabric works as well as cutting on bias, since I always seem to have just too little fabric this is good for me.

    Great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect for summer! I like that it has a zipper, and therefore doesn't need to be baggy enough to pull over the head. The more fitted look is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are lucky to have access to great fabrics—this print is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice - great print and great style for you! Excellent save on the zipper top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fabric. I have been wondering about this pattern. Might have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a very cute dress, ideal fo summer! You look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute dress; very flattering.

    ReplyDelete