Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2009

On the Move

We are finally moving into our recently purchased and newly renovated apartment this weekend and I cannot wait.  I'm really happy with how it's all turned out - I think we only kept one of the original internal walls so it's quite a change.  My little custom designed sewing studio/occasional guest bedroom is just right for me and I can't wait to show you that next time.  

Meanwhile, just to give myself more stuff to move I went on a fabric shopping spree with a friend who is leaving Hong Kong shortly - she forcibly dragged me there I tell you.  This is the fabric market in Sham Shui Po - it's either heaven or hell depending on your mood and the weather, but the prices are unbelievably cheap so now and again it's worth a trip.  There are around 8 long aisles piled floor to ceiling like this with totally random stuff.  I think it's basically excess purchased from garment factories in HK and China so you can find some interesting things if you are prepared to dig!


Here's my booty, I've already given one piece as a gift and made the brown and pink paisley up into another version of the dress from my last post - I will take pictures of that after the move.




14 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember that place very well!! I have only been when it is extremely hot - not fun, but I do have some gems in the stash curtesy of the market :)

    And how exciting to be moving into your new home. I hope we get some pictures :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am green with envy! You have some great fabrics.
    Good luck on the move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your move. Don't leave those delicious new fabrics behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you dug well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the move. Love all your treasures you found. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, lovely fabrics. I don't know that I would have been able to give any of them away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the next best thing to shopping in the garment district in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to give a warning before you show all that loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the black and white piece in the last photo on the right, love, love, love, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooooooooo I want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fabrics! Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like my kind of place - I don't mind digging about for a bargain. Good luck on the move - I'm sure you'll be happy to be in your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does sound like a wonderful place to go....you found some great fabrics!

    I've given you the Lovely Blog Award.
    Please check my blog for details :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your moving in. Keep your spirits up through the renovation. // Sham Shui Po! The interior reminds me exactly of the fabric market in a beautiful old, red traditionally built Chinese building in Taipei. Leftovers from Guangzhou. Nice haul! Any idea of the fiber contents?

    ReplyDelete