I thought I would share my dressmaking progress here, starting with my initial thoughts and experiments with the caveat that the finished dress may end up looking completely different.
The dress code is "cocktail" (the men seem to be having all kinds of problems deciphering this) and I wanted to make a fun dress. This is the inspiration I am working with (for the moment at least);
Lacroix dress from Patrones issue 268
I made up a muslin of the Hot Patterns dress bodice, starting with a 12 and adjusting the back so that it wasn't so low. It looked very cute, but was a complete mess when I tried it on. Feeling a bit despondent I went back to the sewing room, took it apart and then realised that I had put it on backwards! Sewed it back up again and what do you know, so much better! I just need to take out some excess fabric in the front neckline (you can see it pinned out in the photo below - I've adjusted the pattern in several small areas rather than one large dart like this though). I know it seems rather extravagant to make a muslin from silk, but I have loads of this leftover from last years bridesmaid project.
In case I can't find any trim I really want to use with whatever fabric I end up getting, I decided to experiment a bit with self fabric. I'm loving all these but don't worry I will try and restrain myself from using them all on the same dress!
Basketweave with strips of fabric