Pages

Friday 24 September 2010

Vogue 1120 DKNY Dress

This is a DKNY pattern, rated easy - and it actually is very easy although admittedly it does look a bit like a nightgown before you tie the belt!




I made my version in the grey / pink border print satin from my last post. The fabric is actually very wide and has the border along both selvedges but I managed to squeeze the pattern pieces on so that the main body of the dress is grey with the border in the skirt (it is true I have a small obsession with border prints!).

I made a few minor changes to the pattern;

  • I omitted the back button opening, you really don't need it to get the dress on and off
  • I also had to stitch down the neck facing in places (on the lined sleeves and under the pleats so no stitching shows on the outside) to stop it moving. Of course you could also just bind the neck edges or line the dress instead.
  • Left off the side seam pockets
  • Added a Hong Kong finish to the exposed sleeve seams and neck facing edges (the rest is french seamed)





The ties are very long and wrap round the waist a couple of times, I really like how (completely by luck) my belt is plain grey in the back and patterned in the front.


I'll definitely be making this one again, I think it will work for fall / winter with tights as shown on the pattern envelope or boots.

In cocktail dress news I ordered my fabric on Tuesday and it was delivered by hand on Thursday evening so I can get started on that now. Hopefully this will get me excited about the forthcoming party instead of feeling rather stressed about planning it from 6000 miles away.


32 comments:

  1. You have used the border print fabric to great advantage, it looks super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the border print fabric. It's a really cute flattering dress and if it is easy to sew that's all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab dress ....yet again . I love it .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect use of the fabric. And love those shoes :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO love border-print fabrics and you made great use of this one. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! With that print, that looks couture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this dress, the print of fabric really brings it out

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing dress, the fabric just makes it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! I love borderprint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - this is stunning. I have got this pattern but it sort of fell off my to do list. Having seen yours I'm mad keen to make it. I LOVE the fabric and the way you have placed the border.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your dress shows off the lines and chic design better than the Vogue picture. Perfect marriage of pattern and fabric and you look wonderful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure the dress would be lovely without the border print but the border print really kicks it up to amazing!

    ...and I'm a little obsessed with border prints too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great dress and perfect use of your border print!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so pretty. The fabric looks great with this style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is absolutely adorable! Super cute dress and great use of that print. Can I also say that in that first picture, you look so relaxed and happy. It's such a delighted natural smile and it lights up your whole face (even though it's a profile shot.) I think most of us smile the same way in our pictures and it was really cool to see a different side of you here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone above me said it all. It is a great dress. Lovely print.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dress ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look FABULOUS in your new dress! I love the border print (mild obsession here as well) and the shoes are devine. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your entire outfit! Your shoes are so perfect!! I've always been scared to sew with border prints... your dresses are so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this on you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love that border print. You took a pattern with minimal design lines and made it stunning. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning! Your fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Could you go wrong with such amazing fabric. I'm seriously swooning. I've added this dress to my growing list of things that I'd like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's a simple yet wonderful pattern. And, as usual, I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous, love it!!!! The colors are so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great dress. The fabric is so suitable for the dress pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's gorgeous. Beautiful dress. The fabric really takes it up a notch too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks gorgeous; lovely print, lovely drape and lovely pattern! I made this pattern as a top (test run) and had the same issue with the facings - really glad to hear it wasn't just me :-). Your pictures are inspiring, I will have to follow through and make the dress soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just wanted to let you know that we liked your version of V1120 so much that we posted a link from the Vogue Patterns facebook page.

    ReplyDelete