Pages

Wednesday 13 October 2010

Cocktail dress update

As usual I am sewing at a snails pace so here is a little progress report on my anniversary party dress. It is a combination of the Hot Patterns Bollywood Dress (bodice) and a Patrones Lacroix pattern (skirt), you can see the patterns in my earlier post here. (Wow, that was a month ago and now the party is only 3 weeks away, better get my skates on.)

I'm fine tuning the fit at the moment which is a bit of a pain with a side zipper - lots of basting, trying on and rebasting going on here. Boring, but unavoidable.


Inside skirt pleat detail, the whole dress is interlined with silk organza.



You can't see the colour very well here, it is more turquoise than royal blue.

I'm still thinking about whether to add any hem detail or other embellishment, at the moment it feels like a lot of dress and I am trying to avoid the bridesmaid / prom look so I may leave it as it is.

I did find this crystal trim and individual stones which match perfectly (in real life if not in photos) and I thought instead of stitching it permanently to the dress I would make some detatchable motifs to get a look similar to the Lacroix dress if I feel like it. I have a black tie function shortly after I get back from the UK so I can wear this dress again for that and add the bling!

Finally, Amanda asked about washing silks - apart from this type of special occasion formal dress, I bung all my silks other than dupion in my washing machine! If I can't wash the finished dress in the machine I'd rather know upfront otherwise it just isn't going to get worn. I know this may seem a bit reckless but so far I haven't had any problems. Silk is much tougher than we give it credit for. BUT I don't want lots of irate readers blaming me for ruining their favourite pieces of fabric so please do test a sample first. I admit I have ruined numerous wool sweaters this way, but my silk dresses and tops have all been fine.


22 comments:

  1. Your dress is absolutely stunning. I love the flare of the skirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning, and such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour of the dress is gorgeous. I also wash silks and haven't had any real problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! color mixing with the pattern chosen was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so beautiful! can't wait to see it all finished (with bling) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is looking great! I can't wait to see the finished piece. I love the stone accents as well. I agree with you about the strength of silk. I've used it in client work and have washed it in the washer. It holds up great. Have fun finishing the dress.

    ~Victoria
    tenthousandsewinghours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's stunning. I love the skirt with the top combo. Very elegant and if you add the bling, it will certainly be black tie worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful morphing of the two patterns I love the color and the bling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is looking like a real stunner. I can't wait to see it finished! Thanks for answering my question. I'll definitely be washing some silks soon. I've been saving them until after my new baby gets out of the spit up faze, but if they can be washed in the washer I'll not need to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty dress! I've washed a piece or two of silk in the washing machine along with other "dry clean only" items....if it's going to be mine, it's gonna end up in the washing machine, so I'm like you--I'd like to know in advance. And you are right--there are a lot of fabrics that are tougher than we give them credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks gorgeous; that color is amazing. I love the idea of the removable bling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is looking beautiful! I love the flare of the pleats .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking gorgeous. Can't wait to see if you add the bling or something to the hem. Sofie has asked me to make her school formal dess, so we are off to the Alannah Hill outlet shop tomorrow to see if she can find anything she likes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful dress so far!!! You're doing a fantastic job! I've thrown my silks in the washing machine as well as handwashing it, too, but never dry cleaned. They are tougher than what I expected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this dress, specially its blue color and having beautiful accessories. Looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful color and shape --- love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that dress is going to be fantastic! Gorgeous shape to the skirt, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a very chic dress, and surely you'll find it fits a lot of occasions, with and without the bling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well the dress is just coming right along, isn't it? Love the color and the pleats - can't wait to see it all finsihed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the dress. Beautiful color. I hope to see it when you are finished with it!

    ReplyDelete