Pages

Sunday 15 May 2011

Another week, another Donna Karan dress

This is the pattern I am currently working on - Vogue 1220, the Donna Karan shirtdress.


I am making it in a sort of cranberry cotton sateen. The pattern calls for stretch wovens, but of course I didn't read that before I bought my fabric and this is one of those patterns with strange seams that means you have to either make a muslin or take a flyer on the fit.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you which option I went for! I am happy to report that the pattern is sized consistently for Vogue and it does work in a non stretch fabric. However you might run into problems when you sit down in the dress as I think there may be some stress on the lower buttons, especially with the pegged shape of the skirt. The front facing is just folded back so I have tapered the fold line so the facing is narrower at the bottom to give me a bit more ease there, I'll let you know how it works out!


I just need to buy some buttons to get this finished up. The buttons are on a hidden fly so in theory it should be easy to find some suitable ones.

I'm enjoying making this one, the seaming is really interesting and it comes together pretty fast. I'll share more details when it's finished.


17 comments:

  1. WOW - interesting design - looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour, I can't wait to see it finished! :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely colour, I bet it looks great on you Allison. Looking forward to seeing the finished results, it's a lovely shape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking dress Allison, fabulous color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just looking at this pattern. How hard was it? How much stretch? I figured when I read that that it must be just a slight stretch woven fabric, a little give, not more. What's on the package? Can't wait to see it on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks promising and like the others, I think the colour is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like it's a real winner. Donna Karan patterns are usually very rewarding - lots of interesting designer style and this looks like no exception. I LOVE the colour of your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress looks fantastic! I love the cranberry colored fabric you chose. :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress and can't wait to see your version - fabulous colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the shape of this dress. You chose a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice looking dress. I haven't considered making this. But after seeing what you've done with this pattern, I may try it. It's good to know the sizing is "true" to Vogue and that a woven fabric can be used. I look forward to seeing your finished dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tip Alison. I have this pattern and earmarked some navy blue cotton sateen. From memory I don't think it has any stretch. the colour of your dress is stunning, so hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another stuner! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are on a roll! Gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete