Pages

Sunday 22 May 2011

Burda Style 05/2011 103 Tunic Top

Just to prove that sometimes I make and wear things that are not dresses, I made a top!


Actually my top is a combination of pattern 103 and 104 which is in fact a dress pattern. On my top I left off the sleeve slits and added in the elastic and casing featured in the dress version.

The fabric seems to be a silk/cotton blend if such a thing exists. I bought this last year in Mood on my New York trip where I met up with Carolyn, Elizabeth and LindsayT. I remember LindsayT asking at the time if I was going to make a tunic top with it and I (naturally) said no it was going to be a dress. Something from that day obviously stuck in my brain. I do still have plenty left so it might make it into a dress too someday.



This is a very easy to make and relaxed top for summer, I really love the silk in Burda's photo so I may look out for some similar fabric for another version.

24 comments:

  1. Love that fabric! Looks like a great, breezy summer top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that fabric! I think one of the pics we took are of us gathered around it on the cutting table. I'm so glad to see it come to life as such a wonderful tunic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute top--I missed this one on my first look at the magazine! I love your fabric choice too.

    Lynda in LV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! And the fabric is so interesting! I never noticed that you primarily make dresses. Glad to see a top, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely top. It looks so perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a fabulous eye for fabric. I love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definetly exists and is one of the most awesome fabric choices for summer humid weather.
    I love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! You have a knack for choosing interesting, wearable prints.

    I am a little late to comment on your shirtdress- it looks amazing! Just like the envelop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great top.

    I am also your number one dress fan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really cute. Is it warm enough there to wear this already? While I was on an emergency shopping mission yesterday, I saw tops (and dresses) in that style but yours is so much more interesting, due to the unusual fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That fabric is great! Lovely top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I love that fabric! Wish I had gotten some then too. It made a very pretty tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific top! The fabric is marvy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love how you added the ruffle to the bottom of this blouse - it makes the blouse really wonderful.

    I just made a top too because I feel that all I sew is dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That fabric is so gorgeous and perfect for this tunic style - it looks like a very expensive designer garment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous fabric! Only goes to prove that a simple style in a knock-out fabric equals a stunning garment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice top!
    It's in my work too)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely top! I was looking at this in the pattern mag so very glad to see it made up. I've noticed quite a bit of silk/cotton coming in and it seems to sew up and wash beautifully. And your Donna Karan dress is terrific - you do make the most fabulous dresses (and tops!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great top - the simplicity of the style lets that lovely fabric really shine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty top! Great use of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loooove silk-cotton and that is a gorgeous print! Looks just about perfect as a tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this top. Great work with fabric placement. It's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete