Pages

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Sequinned T

Thank you everyone for the brilliant comments which really helped me make up my mind about what to sew next.  I will show you those plans in my next post because it seems even just writing down how I was feeling helped kickstart the old sewing mojo and I whipped up a top for the holidays.

Don't worry I haven't abandoned the Burda 11/11 dress, in fact stepping back from that helped me realise that all my problems came after setting in the sleeves - which are a little tight so I think they are pulling the bodice out of whack- so I am going to take them out and the dress may well end up sleeveless.

Anyway here is my holiday top, using the blue sequin jersey I bought recently.  I used a simple BurdaStyle top that I have made before (08/2009 - 117) and modified it so the front was cut on the fold and I ignored the front slit and ruffle. I also took the top in at the side seams since the original pattern is designed for a non stretch fabric.  I chose this pattern because I already had it traced and I wanted something with as few seams as possible, but any TNT tshirt or top pattern should work.



I know that this is not the generally accepted correct way to finish seams on sequin fabric, but I didn't want a 2 hour project to become a 2 month project and I think what I came up with, after a bit of experimentation, works really well.

There are two issues with the seams on sequin fabric

  • finishing the seam allowances so you don't shed sequins everywhere you go
  • stopping the sequins on the inside from scratching the skin
For the side and shoulder seams I cut strips of cotton jersey and just sewed them over the (fingerpressed) open seam allowances.  I did shake off the sequins that were easy to get off first (warning: you will get bits of sequins everywhere!)


For the straight arm openings and hem I also used strips, but applied them as hem facings them flipped to the inside, topstitched and trimmed the raw edge of the cotton jersey close to the topstitching.  I used a similar method for the neck edge, but cut shaped facings instead of strips.


I knocked this up on Saturday afternoon and wore it that night with dark jeans and heels.  It was the perfect thing to wear for a casual party and I got many compliments so I think this one will get a bit of wear this holiday season.

These Saturday night photos are a little dark, but you can see the sparkles, and yes one of my cats also makes an appearance again.






Me at the party with a living statue (bit nervous he'd get make up on my top!).

46 comments:

  1. This top is so simple and chic :-)
    Than ks for the walkthrough on how to handle edges and seam allowances. This was super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea covering the seams with strips of jersey. You have a nice trendy, party top now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great little top; thanks too for sharing your idea for seam finishing - it would work on scratchy metallics too, wouldn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect top for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your outfit is so simple-chic. I LOVE the top! You find such awesome fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, beautiful top! I would have been too scared to bring that fabric home.

    Great technique for dealing the with sequins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for the party season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous. Brilliant idea for finishing the seams!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous top! The seam finishes are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a great way to finish the seams! I like that better than the old "remove sequins from the seam allowances and hand-sew them back on over the seams on the outside" method.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving it! Sequins are soooo in this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, I was just thinking about a sequin top. Now I have to find some fabric. great color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful and the perfect thing for a casual party, or if you are not sure how casual vs formal the event might be.

    Did you sew through the sequins, or did you pick them off on the stitching line?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great top! I'm obsessed with sequinned anything right now! Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great top! Love the seam finishes - might have to try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great top! I've seen that finish in text books and always wondered why it would be used. It is a perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  18. perfect top to meet the coming 2012 year of Dragon. Blue and shiny is one of the main adviced combinations!
    Love it

    P.S. Cn't wait to see the Burda dress ( no pressure LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. Simple, elegant, and stunning. Another idea I'm going to copy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely top. What does TNT stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a eye popping way to get your mojo back - love your new sequinned top.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're all sparkled up for the holidays! Super top!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun top - looks great and easy to sew. I like your finishing technique. I have some sequinned fabric that I bought to make a mini dress for my daughter who quickly rejected the idea. Perhaps I have my own party top in black?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cool top - perfect!! Thanks for sharing your seam finishes - very good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very Cute Top! I was looking inside a RTW sequin jersey top (of course!) and it was lined in a very light mesh knit, but I love youre binding techniques! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very festive top! You look fabulous and comfortable. I heard sequins are difficult to sew...I love your finishing tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving the top! I need some sequins too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful, festival top. Perfect for a party. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the tips on how to finish the seams. Question: What type of needle did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely love this top and really all things sparkly. Love your solution to finishing seams.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a simple, but absolutely fabulous top! Great way to finish your seams--thanks for sharing the photos showing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great top, looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great top and good solution to cover the seams.

    Els

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love it! Thank you for the tips on how to cover the seams.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm impressed. That's a great top.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic top! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a fabulous outfit!

    Love the way you treated the seam allowances! Any tips on not wrecking your scissors or machine with sequins? Did you have any trouble stitching over? Were you using a metallic needle? I just did a project with a knit mesh with a few sequins sprinkled on it and even those few sequins caused much groaning among my equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful! It's so simple, yet so chic. Great job and great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That top is gorgeous! I love that glitz is so perfect for holiday parties and such, but this top is so much prettier than anything I've seen in RTW. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete