Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2013

BurdaStyle 01/2011 - 126 Jacket

Thank you everyone who commented on my jacket, and to those of you who patiently waited for it to get finished.  Next it was time for something easy....

I recently decided that my fabric stash needed some plain sensible things in there so I stocked up on some black, red and grey crepes.  This is all well and good for my wardrobe but the reality is I much prefer buying and sewing with prints and unusual fabrics.  So I allowed myself to get two fun pieces, this blue / rainbow boucle sweater knit and a crazy cloud print fabric that you will see on here soon.  Maybe.



With our winters being so short I thought it would be smart to get onto the sweater knit straight away, I knew I wanted a cosy cardigan and went through all my Burda magazines till I decided this one was the best suited for me (01/2011 - 126).  I love the look of waterfall cardigans on other people but I've had to come to the conclusion that they do me no favours so this straight fronted one was the winner.



Evidently I had decided this way back in winter 2011 as when I pulled out the magazine I found it was already traced.  This of course was a nice bonus, but I could have saved myself more time if I had remembered.  Never mind, it was good to make sure nothing better had come along since, right?

I shortened the pattern considerably, to around 30" in total so it was more a jacket and less a full length coat.  Otherwise it is a very quick and easy sew and there is really nothing to say about it construction wise other than I decided to hand hem it so no stitches would show.  This was probably a waste of time of this fabric, but at least the hem didn't get stretched out and I didn't have to be too neat with my handsewing anyway.






There is plenty of ease in this jacket - partly what makes it so easy to make - I made a 38, my usual size and could probably have gone down a size, this is not a sleek slimming cardigan but it definitely fulfills the cosy brief.  I just have one regret that only dawned on me when taking these photos and trying to find something to do with my hands - I wish I had added pockets!  (Tough - I have no spare fabric left and I do not fancy unpicking anything on this fabric).







22 comments:

  1. Lovely jacket - I love the pretties too - but same thing - realise I need some standards. That is a beautiful fabric well used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Allison! The fabric is perfect for that style and indeed looks very cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fabric. The cardigan is a great way to show it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely. Nice fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the jacket is cool, the fabric is cool and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sure does look cozy! Nice job:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very pretty. I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! This is a great pattern for such an interesting fabric.

    I'm with you on waterfall cardigans - somehow they just don't work on me, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that looks super comfy. Great sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric and I feel you should totally wear the fabric that suits you rather than trying to wear boring colours for others (although I understand that at work it may not necessarily be up to you to choose..)! Love the cardigan-I too love waterfall shapes but they tend only to work in thin drapey jersey (which defeats the purpose of being warm and cozy XD).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful and perfect for this time go year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic! Perfect blend of cozy and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic cardigan but I agree about pockets. A must on a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Uhmmm, me encanta, precioso.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uhmmm, me encanta, precioso.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you showcased the fabric! And it's a very practical necessary sew...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely cozy. I really love the fabric you chose for this--the subtle color slubs make it really rich.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so cozy! I'll have to look for that pattern as well -- it has been so chilly here that I've been wanting a cozy jacket like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've used this fabric well. It looks stylish and easy to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How could I miss this? Great fabric! I had that issue but I didn´t find the photo very appealing. Now your version is quite a different thing and now you make me want to try the pattern!
    You look so cozy and stylish!

    ReplyDelete