Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2013

BurdaStyle 02/2013 - 126 Knit Top

I like to give my posts simple boring titles so I can easily go back and find what I want - an added bonus is that the spambots seem to be less likely to find it.  Anyway a more complete title for this post would be:

BurdaStyle 02/2013 - 126 Knit Top + Print Fabric Binge + Reader Testing Update + Award

but that would be silly.

So, first the top - this is proving to be a very popular make from February's BurdaStyle magazine, and with good reason.  It's quick and easy to make and has just a bit more interest that your average t shirt with it's gathered raglan sleeves, a simple but effective detail.


I used up a leftover piece of knit in my stash which always feels good.  I made a straight size 38 which fits well, but I found it to be really long so chopped a good few inches off the hem - you can see above that the garment looks a lot longer than the line drawing.  After wearing I can also say I should have pulled the neck binding in a bit tighter, but I can live with it.  Other than that there is not a lot to say about the construction, I definitely recommend giving this pattern a try, I'm sure I am going to make it again.  



Sleeve detail, the neckline is bound with self made binding.
Fabric binge
Do you remember last time I went to the fabric market in Sham Shui Po I bought sensible solid pieces.  Perhaps that wasn't a good idea because I went print mad this time.  But you never know what you are going to find so you just have to snap these pieces up when you can.  That's my story and I am sticking to it!


Love this collageit application, clockwise from top left we have:

  • the whole pile - I plan on using these next so they can stay out
  • bird prints (a bit 2 seasons ago, but I don't care!), really love the cotton on the right
  • slinky jerseys, the one on the left is now almost a dress, the middle a top
  • grey/black/white, I really like the digital printed pansy silk in the middle, actually what am I saying I love them all!
  • my favourite, if you took a photo of a parrotfish, blew it up (the photo not the fish) and printed it on silk this is what you end up with
  • a bit more up to date - this season's emerald colour leopard chiffon and a mint cotton lace

Reader experiments
It was great to get all your feedback on the last post and I'm also getting lots of information on other blogs.  I am currently using Feedly which now I have worked out where the menu and preference settings are (3 little lines on the left and wheely thing on the right respectively) am finding it OK.  At the moment - but not after 1 July obviously - it grabs data from and syncs 2 ways with google reader.  Unfortunately I hadn't fully grasped this in my early experiments and inadvertently marked as read a bunch of posts I had saved to comment on later and of course now I can't recall whose they were.  So now I am just sticking with feedly for the time being.  Gail, I will try and add a subscription thingy to my blog.

Award
Last but by no means least I was lucky enough to get a Lovely Blogger award from Sewing in Athens.  Thank you!  These awards are always such a great way of finding new blogs and this one is no exception, I love her tagline "How many dresses are too many", a question I should probably ask myself more often.  Go check out her blog here, the latest post is for a gorgeous Patrones pussy bow blouse.




17 comments:

  1. Have you tried feeddler? I find it very simple to use and prefer its layout to feedly. At present it uses google reader to find your feeds but the developer has got a plan to ensure that it can continue to be used after 1 July

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sleeve effect on this top that is very flattering, I can why you love it.
    Love the new fabrics, I am going fabric shopping next month, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great haul! I love parrot fish! And the whole "put a bird on it" trend seems to be going strong. I'm looking for a raglan pattern at the moment - your top looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your top, I made a dress with the same pattern and of course I will make it again. I love your fabrics, I'm I will have a good time shopping fabrics in HK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another pattern I have to make. This really seems to be a winner with lots of people loving it.
    I love your prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the birds. Can't wait to see what you make out of them. I also love the top. I'd love to get my hands on that one eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that top - it seems like everyone is making it with great results. I am going to have to jump on that bandwagon when I can find the time...

    And I love your new fabrics! Can't wait to see what you make with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My subsription to Burda has ended so now I'm going to have to wait about 4 months for the Feb issue to get here... but I want to make a t-shirt just like yours ;-)

    Love that fabric - I completely understand why you'd want these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabric binge reaped some amazing designs. I'm envious of the lace. Definitely want to make this top when Feb 13 arrives here next month. ?to self, why don't I subscribe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the dreaded demise of Google Reader. I have my head in the sand about it for now cos I can. But will have to pick something new soon. Sigh.

    I love your fabrics and aren't you good having plans for them already. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That top seems to be a real hit - and has been on my 'to do' pile for a while. I really must get it made up!
    I love your fabric purchases. Especially the birds which are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I literally had dreams about the fabric market at Sham Shui Po for about 3 years after our visit. I haven't had one in a long time, which probably means I need to make another visit...

    Do you find the neckline on the Burda top wide? I definitely plan to make it, I just haven't decided if I should narrow the neck opening a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your new top and your fabric haul!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am I terrible if I just want to talk about all that amazingly wonderful fabric you just bought? I had to take a deep breathe because all of the luscious ness. LOL! These will make beautiful garments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have thought about subscribing to the Burda Magazine. The info on the web is contradictive LOL I'm wondering if you can tell me what the size range is for the main magazine? And what the size range is for the +plus section?

    I LOVE the t-shirt. Wishing I had already subscribed, I think. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Alison, I missed so many of your makes! Starting with this top. Love it. The gathering in the sleeve is great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I commented on a post from a previous post. I am in love with this bird fabric. I was wondering if you had any leftover fabric or if that market still has any. I would pay you for it! My email address is laura.rock@huskers.unl.edu

    ReplyDelete