Pages

Friday 27 September 2013

Vogue 8907 Top

Next up in the Italian collection is a draped asymmetric top from Vogue 8907.

I made view B, it was a bit experimental and I really didn't know how it would look on me so I used some cheap slinky jersey rather than cutting into my best silk.  The recommended fabrics for this top are charmeuse, crepe de chine and crepe so it is not designed for knits at all, but I think it works in a very fluid knit, silk jersey would probably be lovely.  The pattern does warn you that the wrong side of the fabric will show so a print is not the ideal thing, but in this pale colour I can get away with it.  I broke all the rules basically!



I cut a small (8-10) at the shoulders and neck merging to a medium (12-14) below the armholes.  (For reference I usually make a 12 in Vogue, but lately I have found the sizing a bit less consistent than it used to be).  It's quite loose fitting and I think needs to be worn with something narrow on the bottom half for the most flattering look.

But, other than the slightly low armhole I am pleased with how this turned out and it is so cool and comfortable to wear.  I might try View A next inspired by EricaB's fabulous version of it in blue silk.  Usually when I make statements like this on my blog they are doomed not to happen, but we'll see, it is a quick top to make and I like that it has a bit of drama.



The top looked mighty strange until I hemmed it, which catches the cape layer and tames it a bit, it does look a bit Superman until you do that stage so a bit of faith is needed!  Like Erica, I omitted the facings and bound the neck edge with a strip of fabric, the armholes are just serged and hemmed.


When it came to hemming this it became abundantly clear that my twin needles were all blunt and it turns out that they are not easy to find here now that Spotlight has closed it's doors.  Luckily my new (probably only!) HK sewing friend, Julie came to the rescue and gave me some of hers so I could redo the hem.  Thank you Julie for saving me & the Italians from this sorry mess....


So here I am wearing the top at one end of the very busy Ponte Vecchio, the oldest surviving bridge in Florence, still lined with jewellery shops as it has been for hundreds of years.  You can see the dome of the Il Duomo cathedral in the background.  One thing I loved about Florence was how easy it was to walk around, everything is pretty close together.







24 comments:

  1. You look perfectly chic for Florence. Great print on the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely top and white pants are perfect! Florence is easy and accessible isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so chic, I love the drape. That top must be so fun to wear.
    Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that top is lovely, I passed right by that pattern, I may have to take a second look at it because of you. So chic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top is lovely. I really like the knit. Very fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can be tricky to balance comfort with chic and I think this top does it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a pattern that I had completely missed somehow. I'm going to have to add this to my wish list now I've seem how good it looks made up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a clever design. Love it made in the pale print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super pretty outfit. I might have to try that pattern. And how brave you are taking white jeans on vacation. I would spill gelato on them the first minute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great travel outfit!

    Did you find that the top pulled to the left because of the extra weight of the flap/cape?

    The last picture reminded me of the afternoon I fed a sandwich to a cranky 3 yo while looking out over that bridge view. She'd missed her normal lunch time while we were driving enroute to Florence.

    Luckily, it wasn't a total meltdown. I have a pix later in the day of her smiling while climbing the duomo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so stylish! I am LOVING your vacation wardrobe and photos. It looks like a marvelous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so elegant! And like you're having a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very elegant and ladylike and those colours are beautiful on you. Really, really like this style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not look TWICE at this pattern, but yours is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the top in the fabric you chose. And so perfect with white pants! I also was Leary of that drape, but it is really elegant on you! Love your travelogue also, gotta get to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Love, love with your white pants. As others above said, so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That top turned out great - it is cool to see your clothes taking a holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great and classy looking top in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That top is lovely and looks perfect for your Italian holiday(as are the dresses in your previous posts).
    I love views B and C on this pattern but I am really not certain about A. I will wait to be convinced - I am sure your will do it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the top, so chic! The wrong/right side effect of the pattern looks really great :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous top! The entire look is cool, chic and perfect for Florence!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You should definitely make this one again because the first one is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so in love with this top! How have I never noticed this pattern before? You look incredibly chic--perfect for a trip to Italy!

    ReplyDelete