Pages

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Burda Style Magazine 02/2013 - 115 Maxi Dress

The fabric I used for this dress is a classic example of the "go online, ooh pretty fabric, must have it, omg what on earth can I do with it" variety.

It's a stripy jersey with what I thought was a butterfly border pattern.  It turned out that the butterflies were across the middle of the fabric and were huge.  So the fabric sat in my stash while I pondered how I could use it, I always had in my head a maxi dress, but definitely wanted to avoid having a giant butterfly planted smack in the middle of my body.

Finally I just took the plunge and placed the pattern pieces so that the butterflies kind of came in from the side seams, you can hardly see them now which is a bit of a shame, but I really like how the dress came out and am glad that I've managed to use the fabric.

I used this great maxi dress pattern from Burda Style magazine 02/2013 - 115.  I love the above waist twist detail.







This is the sewing course pattern from this issue so there are diagrams which help a lot as the pattern pieces - at least the upper front piece - is unusual.  I got a bit confused because the diagrams mark seamlines (dots), foldlines (big dashes) and stitching lines (small dashes), obviously you only want to stitch the bits marked with stitching lines.  Once your upper front looks like diagram #6 the worst is over!

I made a straight size 38 and apart from raising the neckline just by stitching it up a bit higher and shortening it a bit at the end I didn't have to make any alterations.

Here is the back view, the method of finishing the back v neckline with 2 strips of fabric was new to me, I liked it, simple to do and looks good.



I really like how this turned out and might make it again in a shorter version.  The waist detail does sit slightly above the waist which takes it into potential maternity territory (although not on my very flat bellied dressform!).  Actually I expect it would make a great maternity dress - indeed, the same detail turned up on the Duchess of Cambridge's dress that she wore recently for the first baby photoshoot, the sleeves could easily be modified to get the same look at this now sold out dress.






29 comments:

  1. Love this dress. The fabric is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric you used for your version of the dress! I agree it is a bit sad that the butterflies aren't highlighted, but on the other hand I think their placement is very strategic. The stripes look amazing though.

    And, even though they are maternity dress photos, I think I am convinced I definitely need to do a short version now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way the stripes flow on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that dress and the fabric is beautiful. Want to make it for myself too, maybe in a bright solid knit....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done-I bet those butterflies just pop when you're walking around in it. I almost bought the pattern on bs today but then realised it was a sh*tty tiled 'print at home and spend 3 hours taping together' deal. So were 3 other maxis I looked at. The mags are a pain to find here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stripes look fantastic in this style! Well done.
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wait I have that mag. Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is really spectacular. I love it! Good placing of the butterflies.... they'll look like they are flitting in and out of the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I love this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the fabric! Gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see how you bought that fabric on impulse, how could you say no? The end result is lovely, I like the side butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really a pretty fabric and you choice the perfect pattern for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also love the placement of the butterflies. It really adds an extra element to the maxi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, that's awesome. This fabric was made for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE IT! The fabric is gorgeous, and the pattern is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg, this is stunning. STUNNING! I love the stripes and the placement of butterflies. I lurv it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous dress. You did an awesome job on that.
    I love the butterflies on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dress is wonderful. The striped fabric really accents the lines of the dress and I bet it is very flattering when worn. I love the surprise of the big butterfly's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You made the perfect decision combining this fabric and pattern. The scale of the butterflies is perfect in a maxi.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great dress and fabric choice. Love the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great use of the stripes! Any modelling pics? I bet it's super flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job on your maxi dress. I love the print placement.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful dress! And I love how the butterflies magically appear on the sides of it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd love to see this on. The fabric is great. The perfect maxi is on my summer 13 sew list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The butterflies are in the right place to keep you looking chic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look so good in everything you make. That's a wonderful dress Allison.

    ReplyDelete