I decided to make this dress for the August 2012 issue of Burda magazine.
It is surprisingly easy to put together - what I thought were going to be tricky inset corners are actually separate yoke pieces sewn on and then caught in a dart.
Make sure you label the small yoke pieces carefully so you can identify which way up they go and can tell front from back, there are some subtle differences in the shapes.
I made a size 38, going out to a 40 at the hipline which is my usual sizing in Burda and I found very few adjustments were needed, yippee! The only changes I made were:
- Omitted the side zipper since the fabric stretches enough that I can easily get it on over my head
- The bodice is supposed to be lined, but as I didn't have any stretch lining to hand and the doubleknit has a decent weight on it's own I left mine unlined.
- Shortened the dress from mid calf to just above the knee, I just felt it was more flattering at that length on me.
- I found the neckline to be just a tiny bit low for my personal preference so I took the shoulders up a bit and took a very narrow hem at the neckline. It's not as crazy low as some Burda necklines can be, but next time I'd just raise the neckline a bit at the cutting out stage. Also I always forget but I think I am a little short in the upper torso so others mind find the neckline fine as it is.
The sleeves are quite dramatic and may not be to everyone's taste, but I like how they balance out my hips. It would be easy enough to switch them to a simpler sleeve though.