I found this bold eyelet fabric (I also got some in white) and knew that wanted to make a flared skirt with it for some reason. Shown below with black cotton underlining.
Finding a pattern was surprisingly difficult. I wanted as few seams as possible, but didn't have enough for a part circle skirt. Eventually I used this Burda Style pattern from 04/2011 and combined the pattern pieces to eliminate the panel seams and moved the zip to the side seam (not really sure why it's not there in the first place, this skirt does have side seams). It was a tall pattern (for 5'9 vs 5'6), but I ignored that and just left off the hem allowance.
The drape would probably be better with the original panel seams in place since those side panels are supposed to be cut with the grain running down the centre. I may well try this pattern again, but I really wasn't sure how this fabric would look with very visible seams. I probably overthought this and no one would even notice them, but too late now!
I underlined with lightweight black cotton, I did consider separate lining, but decided that the seams would not look good or be very strong as the eyelet is so open.
The combination of the (now) a-line front and back and the slightly stiff fabric did make me worry a bit - like I would look like I was wearing a green triangle of garden netting and perhaps it does, but I really like the finished skirt and the midi length it ended up as, not a length I often wear.
|Really ought to do a final press before taking blog photos!|
It's been a bit quiet round here as I have just returned from an amazing vacation in Italy, visiting the Amalfi coast, Venice and Rome. I took this skirt with me and wore it a few times so you get a photo that is not in my hallway, complete with packing wrinkles, oops!