One of the versions in the magazine (110A) is shown in a poplin with the bands tied very loosely and it looks pretty awful to be honest. However the other view - shown below, looked better and it helped me decide to try this in something quite lightweight and drapy. I chose this very intensely coloured stretch silk that I bought in China a while back. My weakness when fabric shopping is definitely buying striking prints with no thought whatsoever on how to use them.
Unsurprisingly it is very fast and easy to make especially since I left off the back neck opening because I could easily get the top on without it. I sewed the tie bands slightly wrong so my topstitching is visible as I did it after I had folded the bands towards the centre again, but it doesn't really matter.
I like the top more than I thought I would, the tie bands and the back section seams give it a nice shape, like a cheater peplum top. I think the fabric choice is important to make this work because the fabric just falls into folds over the bust. I don't know if I will make it again, but if I do I'd consider lowering the tie bands a bit. It's probably a good (and very obvious) idea to pin them and try the top on first.
I had some cotton twill in my stash that matched so I also made a skirt, this is 02/2014 - 109/110 which I was pleased to discover I had already traced ages ago, although I don't recall ever making it before. It's a basic, classic pattern.
As usual I used Sandra Betzina's method for the fly front. Somehow I managed to sew and serge the centre backs together the wrong way round and in fixing that I had to borrow some seam allowance from the side seams so it is a bit on the snug side. However even though this fabric has no stretch it does soften and after half a days wearing is OK, but I am annoyed at my stupid mistake! Hmm it also looks like my fly is the opposite way to the pattern drawing....oh well.