Pages

Monday 7 August 2017

BurdaStyle 12/2011 - 108 Skirt

This is a really simple skirt from BurdaStyle, there's not a whole lot to say about it really, but it is ideal for using the vibrant prints I can't seem to help buying.  I just wanted a basic a-line midi skirt and went through my stash of Burda magazines until I found this one.

12/2011 - 108 PDF Download



It is however designed to be cut on the bias and I've come to realise that I really don't like bias cut things on me; I find they cling and emphasise bits I'd rather disguise.   I cut the pattern a bit wider at the hips since bias has some stretch which is lost when you change to straight grain.  I totally forgot to consider the hem circumference and while it is OK I do need to be careful if I take big steps.

I made this twice - the first in a silky peacock print, I'm not sure what the fabric is to be honest, but it's a bit sheer so I wear a slip under this one.




The instructions have you interface the top of the skirt pieces and then finish with lace edging.  I simply finished the waist with a strip of interfaced fabric - basically a narrow facing - and topstitched in place.   The original pattern has hem facings also cut on the bias, but since I changed the grainline my hem is just serged and turned up.



The second version is made from a linen/cotton blend with brightly coloured parrots printed on a black and white leafy background.  I loved working with this fabric, so easy to handle and it doesn't crease as much as pure linen.  

I changed this version a bit by adding a waistband, a centre back seam (I much prefer a centre back zip than a side one to fine tune the fit) and added a small split in the centre back to make it easier to walk in.  I didn't have any invisible zippers on hand so I did a centred zipper instead.  I think I last did one of these about 20 years ago, but it turned out ok!







I took both skirts on a short vacation to Singapore which is where the photos below were taken.    They coped with the heat and humidity brilliantly which is more than I can say for my hair!


9 comments:

  1. That peacock print is to dye for! Great pattern for big prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous prints and the perfect skirt pattern to let them shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both perfect with a simple black tshirt. Great prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent match between pattern and fabrics. I love it when you use older burda style patterns. It makes me very happy I have keep my older issues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are totally rocking the midi this summer! Love that bird fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect travel skirt! That bird fabric super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I think the peacock is my favorite - I'm always a sucker for peacocks. Looks like a comfortable skirt for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the nice blog and very informative blog.
    Thanks for the sharing information.
    Win Digitizing

    ReplyDelete