Pages

Wednesday 12 July 2017

BurdaStyle 5/2010 - 105 Knit Dress

I have made this dress so many times that I'm already on my second versions of them in black and navy which just get worn all the time!  It takes only around 1.5m of jersey, sews up in a couple of hours at the most, dresses up and down easily and is great for travel.  




So, I've made two more to add to my collection (currently up to 5!) - a deep red ITY version and a black textured knit version.

I always add a bit of extra width to the skirt, but if you have less hips than me this dress would look even better with a narrower skirt.




Here I'm wearing it a bit dressed up with gold accessories, but I frequently wear them with my skechers pumps for a casual daytime look.





This is the fabric I used for the black one :





The only change I made here was to use a scrap of plain jersey for the neck binding and I decided to leave it visible instead of folding it to the inside just to reduce bulk a bit.  So this one has a slightly higher neckline.



I don't have any photos of me wearing this one yet, but I'm flying to Ireland for a wedding soon and both of these are packed (along with jackets and raincoats!) so weather permitting I will get some photos on vacation.



9 comments:

  1. This is such a great pattern. I made two in quick succession and wore them a lot. Then my daughter grew up enough to wear them. You know where this is going. I no longer have them in my wardrobe! You've inspired me to go back to the pattern again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. trace once and sew 5 times - that is efficiency! the red looks great, you are tempting me with this one but there are so many great Burda dresses to try and not enough time. Have fun in Ireland - one of my favorite places in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both look so great! The texture on the black is a nice feature, and the red looks amazing - love the way you've styled it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do look wonderful in this style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a classic (and I'm pretty sure it was the first Burda pattern I ever made too). It looks as if the armscyes would be very revealing but I don't remember it being an issue; maybe because of all the draped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great dress. I'm sure I said that the last time you make one. Must sew one up next summer. Hope the weather is kind for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a dress that I'd think would look best on a 'model' type, but it looks great on you in all of the colors you've made it in. As Beth said, tracing once sewing up 5 times is definitely a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just considering making another one 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. My French blue and deep red versions still going strong. It is a really great, easy and elegant sew!

    ReplyDelete