Pages

Saturday 31 May 2008

Butterick 4985 Top - The last mini wardrobe piece

In the nick of time, I've finished! Completed wardrobe pics to follow in my next post.


Here's my Pattern Review

Pattern Description:
Tops A, B, C, D have gathered upper front, lower section with princess seams, sleeve and collar variation. A: stand-up collar and tie, two-piece sleeve. B: gathered sleeve with band and collar with collar band. C, D: gathered sleeve with band and stand-up collar. D: purchased trim. I started with view B.
Pattern Sizing:
(6-8-10-12) and (14-16-18-20). I made a 12, usually I need to do an FBA in woven tops but I find that the gathered bust of this pattern provides enough room.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Mostly, although I changed the sleeves when I realised that although they looked cute on the dressform they did nothing for me at all.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes very clear.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the waist shaping on this pattern, it's very flattering.
Fabric Used:
Cotton with some stretch, although the stretch is not required for this pattern.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I have made and reviewed this top before, it's probably the nearest pattern I have to a TNT so I was happy to make a few changes. As mentioned above I swapped the sleeves to a simple cap sleeve. I added a belt and buckle detail to tie into my mini wardrobe by simply making 2 fabric tubes and catching them in the side seams. I had problems finding the exact buckle I had pictured in my head so was forced to get creative - this one started life as a pair of earrings! I used snaps instead of buttons so as not to clash with the buckle. Finally as the fabric is slightly see through I trimmed the front facings so they were much narrower and resembled a shirt placket.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Probably (need to be careful not to end up with a whole closet full of these) and yes.
Conclusion:
A flattering, simple top pattern which can be modified to create a variety of different looks.

9 comments:

  1. great shirt, I also, love your black suit in the other post too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous and designer chic! You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I really like that top!!! And the idea of adding the earring as buckles is ingenious!!! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute shirt. I'll have to check out that pattern if I don't already own it. ;o)

    Congratulations on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The belt is a great addition to this blouse...I'm filing it for future plagiarism.

    You've been tagged...

    Check it out here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm i awe with your blouse... The buckle is the cherry on top of the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I miss seeing this top! It is great and I love how you changed it with the belt and buckle.

    ReplyDelete