Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BWOF 2008/06 - 121A Skirt

I finally finished the zebra print silk skirt.  Actually this fabric was the end of the bolt and was so cheap it must be a poly.  But who cares, it feels great!

This is a very simple pattern, 2 pieces plus a bias strip to finish the back waistband and make the ties.  The pattern recommends lightweight flowing skirt fabrics and the short version in the magazine is made from chiffon.  Personally I think with the pleats in the front you don't want to use something too floaty and lightweight unless you have an extremely flat stomach!  I wouldn't go any lighter than this "silk" and even then I put quite a deep hem on it to help it hang better.

Otherwise the only change I made from the pattern was to leave off the eyelets - instead I cut the tie into two pieces and sewed them to the underside of the front pleat.  I didn't have any eyelets or the tool to attach them and was a bit reluctant to make holes in my fabric after making the skirt, even if it is just a poly!  Pleat detail;


The skirt has a side zipper and I used an invisible zip.  for some reason it really bent outwards so I had to leave the partially completed skirt under a pile of books for a few days to straighten it out.  Not very technical, but it worked!

The print is actually cream and brown so I probably won't wear it with a black top but it was sunny before I left for work this morning so I threw on the skirt and grabbed a few photos. 

9 comments:

Tany said...

The skirt is fabulous and I really love your interpretation! Well done!

Erica B. said...

Beautiful skirt! I love the black and white!

Lindsay T said...

Fabulous!

peacockchic said...

Love the skirt and LOVE that print. This skirt in on my list, but maybe now it has been bumped up!

Thanks for the review!

Christina said...

I love your fabric choice - very fun skirt.

Adrienne said...

Love this skirt!!!!!

Keely said...

Lovely skirt!

Dana said...

Great skirt, the fabric is perfect for that style!

Jackie said...

Beautiful skirt!