So I put some brown jersey to use and made 2 simple knit tops to rescue this orphaned skirt (Burda June 2008-121). I could sort of get away with matching it with black (for 2 years!!) as the brown in the zebra stripe is pretty dark, but brown is much better.
Top 1 - Jalie 2804 Empire Crossover Top
I think it took almost as long to thread my serger as it did to make this. Excellent draft and instructions, I've already cut another one from the purple remnants of the Donna Karan dress.
Top 2 - Burda 07/2006 - 121
I chose this pattern because it uses only a small amount of fabric which is all I had left after top 1 and lining a ufo dress. I added an additional band at the neckline from scraps to make it a bit more wearable, otherwise it is almost off the shoulder.
While my serger was threaded up with brown I had a rummage in my stash to see what else I could make and found not 1 but 2 UFOs hiding in there.
UFO 1 Skirt
This knit fabric came from Gorgeous Things and I initially made it into a long sleeved dress, but there is something about fall/winter print dresses that just don't work on me (see previous LindsayT-christened Mrs Doubtfire dress!). I had kept the skirt part because I thought the pieces were big enough to do something with and I really liked the print.
A mere two years or so later I had the highly unoriginal idea of just making it into a skirt - side seams, hem and elastic in the waistband and voila - one fall skirt.
UFO 2 Dress
This was Butterick 4975, now out of print - probably started when maxi dresses first became fashionable and now finished seconds before they go out of style again!
Weirdly it's another Gorgeous Things knit fabric. This project was halted in its tracks because I didn't have enough fabric for the self lined bodice and then I got sidetracked. More about this dress in my next post.