Pages

Friday 1 April 2011

Patrones 300 #30 Cowl Top

I knew the blog world would understand my serger mishap (especially Pin Queen who posted about the exact same thing), thank you for all your comments, great therapy! ToBoldlySew - my fabric was 60" wide BTW so do buy extra if you want to lengthen it or be prepared to cut on the cross grain like I did. And Karen, I posted a comment re Shanghai on your blog.

Here is the recovery sewing top - Patrones 300, #30.


The pattern itself is very simple, a front, back and a bias strip for the back neck facing. Of course I made life difficult for myself by using a slippery, uncooperative poly silk fabric which despite lots of pinning and careful cutting took on a life of it's own and grew in random directions!


My technical sewing on this thing is terrible, wonky hems and seams galore, but weirdly I still like it. It's sewn with French seams throughout which is my preferred finish for thin fabrics and also meant I could avoid the misbehaving serger. I made a self tie belt for now so I have the option to wear it without tucking it in and I will purchase a more interesting belt that works too. Tucking it in will hide the lousy hem - I need a skirt for that.


These pants are far too big for me now (good) and have been in a bag waiting to be altered for about a year now (not so good) so they are rather creased and falling down a bit, but hopefully you can see potential in the outfit! I think I will make another version in silk which should be easier to sew.


Finally Spring seems to have arrived in Hong Kong and we should now have a month or two of glorious weather before I start complaining about 99% humidity and monsoon rains. But for now it is bliss, the husband is even leaving work early - well, on time for normal people - so we can head off to Stanley on the south side of the island and chill with a beverage. Just need to find a way to keep my pants up!


29 comments:

  1. the design of this top is gorgeous and the print is as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the print. when you showed the fabric a few post ago I was a bit apprehensive but I love the finished result.
    And I'm sure your sewing is great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous - I absolutely love the print! And I'm sure no-one will notice slight bits of wonkiness on the seams, although we are of course frustrated when it ends up that way - recently I have been surreptitiously examining the way sheer fabrics are finished on garments when I'm squeezed in tightly on the underground! It's a pretty sorry picture in general, at least in London!
    Glad you had success after the mishap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great in this. I love the print - it is so happy and bold. What a nice project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful top. I still love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do look slim in white pants- my dream! Your top is perfect for spring. I love navy blue and white together for spring and you've pulled it off nicely. You've also done it in a more original way than the usual sailor/navy references. You look great! Enjoy your drinks in Stanley, your bound to look chic doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The top turned out beautifully. Can't tell that there is any wonkiness anywhere. Does look lovely with the white pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recovery. The top is gorgeous on you and the print is just divine! Ugh don't talk about a misbehaving serger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank so much for your reply! I'll take a look at her blog! and love the blouse! I've sewn for so many years but have actually never seen a Patrones magazine. They probably don't reach Northern Europe (where we have our own pattern magzines such as Knip and Burda), let alone the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The top looks fantastic on you!


    And isn't it a lovely feeling to have your pants falling down? Seriously! I've lost about 50 lbs in the past year and just adore that "too loose, needs a belt" feeling, lol.

    In fact, on my to do list today is to go buy some new, better fitting pants. If only it wasn't snowing in Massachusetts . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great - distinctive, stylish, and comfortable! Bet no one else will notice the seams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great top... great way to recover!! It's very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lindo o modelo e ficou ótimo em você!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is lovely!! I love the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfection! I am crazy about that print. Want it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute top and the fabric is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic blouse! I loved this in the magazine and I soooo glad it's just as nice to wear! The fabric looks luscious but I bet your next one in silk will feel even better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your top, and the print is fabulous! The large scale works so well.
    This unfriendly fabric was definitely worth the final result :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Love the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful top, very eye-catching and you look fab in it. I love the colours in that lovely print.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a perfect pairing of pattern and fabric! I think it looks great, and very fresh with the white pants.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a very pretty top. It says something about how disturbing the serger incident was, if sewing French seams on a poly chiffon was your next project :)
    Very cute with the white pants.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great - the print is perfect for the top!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this outfit! I just did a project with a silky poly and it is definitely not my best work either.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, you need to either hurry and alter those pants or make some new ones because that outfit is amazing! So perfectly chic for summer. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute top. I love how comfy yet stylish it looks. Great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Splendid! Not a sewer myself :-( just a native Spanish speaker Translator ;-) Here you'll find some nice downloads for understanding those Spanish sewing terms and phrases featured in Patrones!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Splendid! Not a sewer myself :-( just a native Spanish speaker Translator ;-) Here you'll find some nice downloads for understanding those Spanish sewing terms and phrases featured in Patrones!

    ReplyDelete