Pages

Friday 30 June 2017

Palm Print Jersey Dress

This is a dress made from two different knit patterns, I've shown exactly which ones below, but really you can consider mixing up any of your favourite patterns.  Since this one has an elasticated waist casing and it's in a knit fabric there isn't any special drafting to do as the bodice and skirt can easily be made to fit together.

I used two patterns I have made before, the top is from BurdaStyle 08/2011 - 126 which I've made several times as a top with a peplum band and a raised neckline.  I also eliminate that centre back seam.  You can see a couple of versions here.

08/2011 - 126 Link to pdf dress pattern

The skirt is from McCall's 6744 although I changed the length to midi.  I'm finally coming around to appreciate this length now, maybe in a few more years I'll be wearing flounce sleeves and jumpsuits!

McCall's 6744 (out of print)


I used a green and black palm print ITY jersey - this didn't even get to live in my stash, I just knew what I wanted to do with it and bought and sewed it within a week.  Often I can get a bit paralysed by procrastination so this felt good!






The elastic casing at the waist is around 1 inch wide as I had that sized elastic to hand.  I also had enough fabric left over to make a self fabric belt so I have an option of wearing it both ways.


Part of the reason I made this up so fast was so that I would have it to wear on a short trip to Singapore which is where the photo below is from.  I always seem to decide at the last minute that I need something new for any trip, but at least I've learned to make something quick and easy!








13 comments:

  1. Lovely dress! I hear you say on the last minute sewing but sometimes you just have that vision of what you want to wear to a certain destination, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! I have both of these patterns as well so I may have to copy you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this style of dress. Can be casual or more dressy, depending on fabric, accessories, etc. Yours looks great on your. The fabric is perfect! I have a similar style dress which I was just thinking the other day should be replaced since I have worn the heck out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really perfect! Love the print and the length.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have bought that palm print also, love it. And great pattern mixing. I am planning to sew up that McCalls as well. My pattern twin strikes again :) You look vacation fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Perfect mash up of patterns and fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous! Perfect combination of fabric and design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the way to sew things....straight away with patterns you already have. Looks wonderful and very comfy. And off to Singapore for a short trip. Must put that on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely! Great idea to combine the patterns and great fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. You always make such fabulous stylish clothes !

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I start wearing jumpsuits again you'll now I've reverted to the 1986 version of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola. Me gusta mucho todo lo que te haces. Con tu permiso cojo ideas. Gracias por enseƱarlo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually am behind the trends too. But some get over saturated and I just get sick of them before I decide I like it. Like the cold shoulder top. I'm already tired of looking at everyone walking around in those tops. But anyway, your dress is lovely and I like the length on you.

    ReplyDelete