Pages

Tuesday 13 January 2009

BWOF 10/2005 - 114 Top

After my recent knit fabric binge, I went through my back issues of BWOF looking for new patterns to try, and I discovered a couple of winners.  One was the wrap sweatshirt I previously posted about and another was this cowl neck long sleeved top.

My fabric was a lightweight cotton jersey and I found it was a bit too flimsy for the collar piece, it just didn't drape well at all.  So I cut two collar pieces, stitched them right sides together along the outer edge and then treated them as a single piece and continued making the top.  

This is such an easy top to make, the fit is good, I didn't make any alterations from my usual size 38.  I managed to get the stripes matching up on the front, but it's a different story at the back!  I don't think it matters too much though, especially for a $1, 2 hour top (probably 1 hour for normal sewers!).  

Here I am wearing it (of course it would have been better if I had pulled it on over my bust properly and not worn underwear that shows with the camera flash, but we're all friends here and hopefully you get the general idea! You just don't notice these things on the camera display!).

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I love big slouchy necks like that! Your top looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tip on doubling the fabric for the cowl! I am digging BWOF 9/08 #110 (http://www.burdafashion.com/en/Magazines/Archives/110_Shirt/1270777-1463237-1660161-1660163-1660224.html) but I neither own nor care for sweatshirt knit, and figured the collar would be a flop (literally!!!) in a regular knit. Possibilities....

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are too funny :)

    love love the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a great review on the top. It is already on my list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, I love a big slouch cowl neck. Love this top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made this one too and I also doubled the cowl instead of hemming a single layer - great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice top, I really like that cowl collar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this type of top too. I don't think my Burda's go back that far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute - looks like you can wear this a lot of different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Allison!!! And Happy New Year too! Funny, that cowl neck also caught my eye recently but on my sewing rehabilitation program I decided to try the KS wrap top, which is in its hemming stage now. Slapdash Sewist had a link to your blog, and now that I've found you again I'll be stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on this top! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete