Pages

Friday 16 January 2009

Hot Patterns No Sweat Easy Sew Butterfly Tops

I've had this pattern in my stash for a while and a recent newsletter from Hot Patterns prompted me to dig through the selection of Hot Patterns that I already own.  This is from the range that was also sold through McCalls and is I think now out of print.  
I made the cowl neck version in a very drapy lightweight poly knit that I bought from Spotlight - I loved the print but I really wasn't sure what to do with it - too light for a dress, too thin for a fitted top.  It turned out to be perfect for this top and I really like the end result.  The print and the sleeves make it feel sort of Japanese.  It's ideal for turning a pair of jeans into a going out outfit and great for travel - I can even roll it up and stuff it in my handbag if I'm going out straight from the office!  

The only negative thing is the sizing, I don't know if that is McCalls influence or not, but this pattern runs very large.  I started with a 10 and took in the side and underarm seams so that it ended up closer to a 6.  However it's easy to adjust this smaller and I think part of the concept of this pattern line was to minimise fit issues.  For comparison in a knit I'd normally make a Big 4 size 10 and a BWOF size 38.

I liked the top so much I thought I'd be brave and try the tie neck version in some gorgeous butterfly print silk jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics.  It seemed kind of appropriate for a pattern called a butterfly top and the fabric has the same drapy quality that this pattern needs.  This version has an attached cape and I was a little unsure about it to be honest, but I absolutely love how it turned out.  I went straight to a size 6 this time (this is the smallest size in the envelope which is just ridiculous frankly!) and this was just right for me.  The fabric was a dream to work with, sews and presses like cotton, drapes and feels like silk (which it is!).


You can see the attached cape detail in these pictures;



23 comments:

  1. Pretty tops! I like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both the butterfly tops. My favourite is the silk jersey because I made a wrap dress from that fabric, and I know how nice it is to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty tops, perfect fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're both gorgeous! I love the drapey sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I can't remember a time when I've ever made both views from a pattern! This is one of the very few HP patterns I own and I love the designs, but I was always put off by the huge amount of fabrics these take. Maybe I'll have to reconsider now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sleeves. I think HP runs a little big too. I tend to go down one size for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They both look great - I have often considered buying this pattern but never taken the plunge - I definitely will now.

    Great choice of fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are very pretty! The fabrics choices are perfect for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tops! Isn't silk jersey just delicious to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute tops! You are really getting into the sewing room. I have only managed to trace out one pattern so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hm, now I'm kind of regretting I didn't get this pattern! I am totally digging that silk jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I didn't realize how cute both those styles are. The cape is an interesting touch. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving these tops, I'll have to consider that pattern. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drats, I just noticed you said it was out of print!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm... Is it bad that the photo of the back of the purple top reminds me of Elvis?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking tops! The fit is perfect. Maybe they think they are keeping up with the stores with those sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just saw this pattern at my local JoAnn, and I'm going back to get it today :) lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cape is gorgeous!--Kath in BXL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both tops are beautiful and trendy! I love this style!

    ReplyDelete