Pages

Thursday 4 March 2010

Vogue 1170 in progress (just about)

A huge thank you for the encouraging words on the dress in my last post. I promise it will not become a UFO and I will try not to stress about the inside too much. A little break from it is what I need.

So instead of being sensible and whipping up, say, a knit top I decided to start on one of the most time consuming blouses on the planet - Vogue 1170 by Rachel Comey.


It's in the very early stages as there is a lot of narrow hemming to be done on slippery fabric. The instructions are clear enough on how to do this, but you really need pixie fingers to be able to narrow hem shapes like this.

The sleeve ties, which are cut onto the front and upper back pieces.

My somewhat pointier sleeve ties ready for machining.

I would love to see how this is made in the factory, I'm sure they don't sew a line of straight stitches, burn their fingers pressing it, trim it, fold again and handstitch in place before machining the hem. If they do, then this is will be one expensive blouse to buy!

The fabric I am using is an olive coloured silk with purple flower print that I bought in Shanghai about 7 years ago. I cut the front out in a single layer to try and avoid any unfortunate bullseye pattern placement, but it was hard to see how it's all going to turn out at this stage as the front pieces are unusually shaped.


Unfortunately just as my sewing mojo is returning, last night while washing up I managed to cut my finger on my right hand so sewing (actually almost anything) is a bit painful right now. This was caused by a brand new knife, clearly all my life I have been using blunt ones!

16 comments:

  1. Last year, we got our knives professionally sharpened for the first time ever. I've never cut myself as many times as I did the following month - ouch!

    I can't wait to see that blouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I flinched when I read that! Hope it is better soon.
    As to the blouse, I think I would have cheated and done a rolled hem on the overlocker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yow! Look after yourself and save your fingers! Looking forward to seeing how this top comes out - the fabric looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super excited to see how your blouse will turn out. The fabric you chose is gorgeous. I bought this pattern mainly for the skirt and thought I might make the top as well. Sorry about your finger! I once cut a chunk off the tip of one of my fingers and it was the most painful experience ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hardly fair to encounter a second stumbling block sewing-wise over the span of two projects. Arrrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to hear that your mojo has returned. I can not wait to see the top when you are done.
    Sorry to hear about your finger..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use my rolled hem/narrow hem foot - I'm not great at using it, but it is certainly faster and lazier than handsewing. And I can't wait to see your blouse as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! Sorry about your hand... hope you heals quickly! Can't wait to see your blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! Sorry about your finger. :(

    I just took a class on working with fabrics cut on the bias and we learned how to do a narrow hem on slippery, persnickety fabric. Oy. My eyes were exhausted by the end with all that concentrating on such a tiny bit of fabric. I can't imagine how difficult it is to do that kind of hem on a such a steep curve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your finger gets better soon. I cut one of mine with a rotary cutter last year - ouch! That fabric is gorgeous - perfect for this lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, I am excited about this pattern too, though not that narrow hemming. Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your shirt is going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see it, that fabric is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch! I hope you're back to sewing soon - it is amazing how much a small cut can hurt!

    I don't think I'd turn those itty bitty hems. I think I'd find a way to cut a second piece, stitch them right sides together, trim and then turn. Clean, finished and much easier. That said, I have no clue what the pattern pieces look like or if this is possible due to not wanting a second thickness of fabric in the blouse.

    The fabric is beautiful and is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Connie M. (Grandma C)14 March 2010 at 02:24

    I agree with Reethi that using the sm narrow hem foot is a real time saver. However, it takes a bit of practice to learn (well worth it) If you don't have the narrow hem foot, and the one for your machine is $$$ look for a vintage one.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5802981_use-rolled-hemmer-foot.html I haunt rummage sales and thrift shops for vintage accessories.
    Most of the vintage feet fit standard modern sewing machines. You just have to take the foot off at the ankle using the thumbscrew and screw on the vintage foot. And of course, the hem foot is only really useful for long straight hems, not a shaped one like this. I'm sure there's a way to do it but I can't imagine it. LOL! Have you ever tried using bamboo skewers to hold down edges while you press/sew ? I keep a package of these in my sewing room and use them for all sorts of things where my fingers don't go (or aren't safe to go. I also use a dental pick (toothbrush type handle with a tiny metal hook at the end - buy it in the toothbrush aisle) to hold things down as they go under the presser foot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Connie M. (Grandma C.)14 March 2010 at 02:36

    video of rolled hem foot in use - better than the ehow instructions:

    http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail-n25-r13-i154-sUS.html

    ReplyDelete