Pages

Tuesday 12 July 2011

More stuff for my poor tiny sewing room

Oh my gosh, thanks to Rachel I've just seen the new Vogue patterns (LOVE!!) and am going to have to find another source of knit fabrics in advance of the next sale or I will bankrupt myself. I think a trip to the Sham Shui Po fabric market first and then I will look online, shipping prices to Hong Kong are crazy but I still think it will be cheaper than going to Western Market again when all I need are basics.

That said I picked up some gorgeous fabrics in addition to the much needed plain knit. I mainly bought good quality solids which aren't very exciting to share photos of, but while there I couldn't resist picking up a couple of prints......

This is a printed silk, for a dress (of course!). I have the pattern in mind, this V1207 Cynthia Steffe which I know I own but cannot for the life of me find anywhere right now. My sewing room is in a mess so it will be a good excuse to tidy it up.


I also picked up the last of this large butterfly print silk chiffon. I've looked at this fabric every time I've shopped there in the last couple of years and always loved it but not known when I would wear it. Since there were only 3 metres left I bought it and will figure something out. If I didn't think I'd come home one day and find my cats hanging off it by their claws I would just leave it draped like this to look at and feel happy!


In sewing news, I am in the middle of making another version of V1120 DKNY, that should be ready soon, in a plain teal blue silk - I love this colour. I'm feeling in the mood to crack on with more sewing before the next Vogue Patterns sale. And tidying that sewing room to make some space!


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabrics. There can never be enough fabric, Right? Looking forward to se what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see your dilemma with the butterfly fabric - the design would need to be subtle. I have a store bought dress that would work well. It is sleeveless, softly gathered and has a cross over front. The waist is just elastified and is worn over a slip. Love your teal dress. I was outbid on this pattern on ebay and wasn't going to up the ante. But might just change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that teal fabric. You always make the prettiest dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be interested to see what new fall Vogues you choose as I always find inspiration from your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty fabrics! Can't wait to see what you sew from the new Vogue dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, about the cats. I love that bold chiffon. But then I'm on a silk chiffon kick at the moment.

    Do I see grommets in the neckline of the silk dress? If so, how cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried Spotlight for knits? Of course you won't get lovely silks but maybe some rayon. Love that butterfly print, really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty fabrics! Love the teal color, too. It's great when you find a pattern that you love and want to make again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why you had to have the butterfly print! I am working on a silk chiffon top now that I think you might like. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that butterfly print . Something very simple with Dolman sleeves to make you fel like you could fly??

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fabrics are lovely, and I covet that butterfly print...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Allison! I love your blog and wanted to comment on buying fabric in HongKong. I'm not sure how different it is from mainland China, but my aunt told me that it was a lot cheaper buying fabric online (taobao.com) vs. going to fabric shops. She purchased some nice silk fabric for me for 250 RMB (2.8 meters). Just thought I would throw out this idea in case you haven't tried it yet!

    ReplyDelete