Pages

Thursday 7 July 2011

Vogue 1250 DKNY dress (times two)

I may be almost the last person in the universe to make this pattern and it seemed like the perfect project to get me back in the sewing room.


My knit stash is a bit limited and this is one fabric it seems hard to get out here for some reason, so I only had prints to choose from. After much procrastination, I picked a risky print, quite a large scale geometric border print, took a deep breath and ploughed in.

While I was making the dress I still had reservations but figured I could always turn it into a top, besides the dress is so quick to make I didn't have time to talk myself out of it. It's a very easy pattern but similar to other DKNY patterns has unusual shaped pieces that make it difficult to alter. I just used a straight size 12 which luckily worked out fine.


I took time to centre the print on the centre front of the pattern, completely forgetting about the centre back seam so I had to fudge it a bit there but it's OK. As soon as I tried the dress on I loved it and knew I had to have another one (at least!). I think the cowl drape has the perfect amount of drapiness and depth and the cut on sleeves are just right too.


Of course I had to then try and track down some solid jersey and went to Western Market in Hong Kong, a reliable but expensive place to shop. While there were plenty of lovely printed silk jerseys, cotton jerseys and very lightweight silk/cotton blends they weren't quite what I was looking for and in the end the best I found was a plain black blend. (Needless to say I couldn't stop at just one piece of fabric but thats a story for another day). Still, I am always saying "this would make a great LBD.." and never get around to it so for once I did. I know this will be a staple in my wardrobe and will probably get worn till it falls apart. As always it is difficult to take good photos of black dresses so I have tried lightening these.




If you haven't tried this pattern yet then I really recommend giving it a try. It only takes a few hours and 1.25- 2 yards of wide knit fabric. Are 2 versions of this enough for me, we will see........

For those of you interested in my trip, I'm working on putting some of the photos up online (I have hundreds as you might imagine) so in the meantime I'll just stick a few random ones on my sewing posts! Galapagos wildlife today!







32 comments:

  1. Great looking dresses, they fit yo perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not quite the last. I STILL haven't made this dress (but want to). They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing this made up in a large scale knit. Both versions are great. You are not the last, I just picked this pattern up last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two very lovely dresses. Guess it's time for me also to pull this pattern out of its envelope and do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Both look fabulous... but the first one, that fabric! It's just perfect. Oh, these DKNY patterns are great. Love the photos. There is a fascinating David Attenborough program about the iguanas. Do you actually stay on the Galapagos Isles or visit and stay elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is an addicting pattern isn't it!?! Both of your versions are beautiful! I really love border prints in this pattern and yours works wonderfully. But gawd now you have me thinking about making this in black...because you're right it is the perfect little black dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the large scale print and of course the LBD is always faithful.
    Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great on you! What a beautiful print. You aren't the last. I bought this pattern, but am not likely to make it up. I just don't wear knee-length dresses. Heck, I don't really wear any dresses. :) But it is a great pattern for most!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful x 2! I love the border print!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both versions are great. I also picked up the pattern but I haven't tried it yet. I'll probably be the last person to make it. I hope my version looks as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every version of this dress I see in blog land I love. Your two are both gorgeous and I really agree 100 % when you say you will wear it to death .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now the black is gorgeous, but the border print is AMAZING! If you look as good as you do in these two, I certainly wouldn't blame you for making 20 more! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both are gorgeous and fit you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I just love them, particularly the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are very pretty dresses. You always make a print work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the one in print, so you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the print - why is it so hard to find knits with a border? I'll be whipping up a few of these as soon as the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't made this dress, either, but I've seen it so many times that I feel I may have to! This is an awesome print and really works well for this dress. (I like your wedge sandals, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are certainly not the last! But these beautiful dresses make me want summer to hurry up so I can wear one too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your dresses and my son and I enjoyed looking at your wildlife pictures. My very knowledgeable son says it's an aquatic iguana you took a picture of =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous dresses!! i really love the print one, and the black one is so elegant. u look fabulous with both!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both dresses look great!

    I have a RTW fitted maternity dress in black that I'm wearing to death right now and it's something that I think I want in my closet post-baby, too. This pattern is very similar to that dress, so I'm thinking I just might tackle my own plain black version this winter. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the dresses! You are not the last--I tried to get the similar McCall pattern (it has waist ruching and a higher waistline--I don't see the Vogue working for me) but it was out at Joann. Boo.

    And the back print does not look at all fudged! I am in awe of your pattern matching.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both dresses are absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, I haven't made it up yet, so you're not the last! Love both, but the border print is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another fabulous dress! It looks great in a print and a solid -- definitely one to try. Thank you for sharing your travel photos -- looks like an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am with the other 'down under' girls - haven't made it yet but will be as soon as the weather warms up. Love bothe your versions and I can see they will both play very different roles in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Superb dress - love the border print!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Both dresses turned out wonderful. I specially love the border print dress!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Love this dress on you. I have yet to make this but it is on my to do list. Love the border print version the most. Great use of the print fabric and it looks fabo!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautifully done! I made this dress in black too!

    ReplyDelete