Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hot Patterns Riviera 1,2,3 Times a T-shirt

Amazingly I have managed to make 4 new items in the last couple of weeks. I am off to the UK tomorrow for a couple of weeks to visit my family and friends so I am going to try out the new blogger feature that enables you to publish posts in the future. If it doesn't work then there will be a bumper crop of posts when I get back.

First up is this t shirt pattern which includes 3 options all based on designer t shirts although they all have the same basic body shape.

I decided to make the pieced version first, from some very soft red jersey. I have lots of this so was happy to use it as a wearable muslin. Ideally you would use a coverstitch machine to make this, but if you don't have one, HP suggests using a serger with wrong sides of the fabric together to make the seam and them pressing to one side and stitching it down. I tried a few samples of this, but my very soft jersey just didn't want to sew up in a nice straight line so I chickened out and just did regular seams instead. I could have added topstitching instead, but chose not to. So basically I could have saved myself a ton of time and made up the non pieced t shirt, but never mind!


I really wasn't too sure about this pattern while I was making it and feared it would be very boxy and shapeless. However, the wide slashed neckline an drapy sleeves balance out the boxiness of the t shirt and although it's still a different style for me, I like it and will definitely try out the other versions. I may even try this version again with the proper seam treatment in some heavier jersey.

13 comments:

KayB said...

This turned out lovely and not boxy at all - in fact, it's quite cute, I like the colour too.

Erica B. said...

I love the neckline of this shirt! It looks fabulous on you and the color is stunning!

Summerset said...

I like this a lot! Of course it is my favorite color, but the style is something I'd probably skip over. You look perfect in it - not boxy at all!

cidell said...

It may not be your style but it fits your VERY well.

Adrienne said...

I love this top! It looks fantastic!

Lindsay T said...

Ooh, nice! I will have to take a look at this pattern. Love the red.

Vicki said...

The style lines still show up nicely. Pretty cute. Enjoy the break back home!

Dei said...

I love this on you!

-E said...

YES! the drape of the neckline/shoulders is sooo flattering...

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Another cute top!

Anonymous said...

Cute top! I love the neckline.

Dmd

Tany said...

It looks awesome one you! It's a very stylish top, well done!

narcissaqtpie said...

really cute! you look great.