Although this is a very easy pattern to sew I was slightly worried that it might be a bit narrow in the hips so as soon as I had finished the shoulder seams and finished the neckline I basted it together and tried it on. It was a disaster! The neckline was extremely, indecently low! No one else (well neither Adrienne or Toy) seemed to have these problems with the neckline. It is possible that my lightweight jersey stretched out a bit with the weight of the long dress, but I have had this problem to some degree with the last 3 garments I have made. Excellent - a new figure problem to add to my list! I fixed this in a rather quick and dirty, but effective way and literally took around 3 inches off the front shoulder seam and 2 off the back and restitched the shoulder seams together (with a piece of fusible tape along the seamline for support).
This changed the shape of the armscye but since the dress has a cap sleeve it was easy to fit in, although my version is now somewhere between a regular and raglan sleeve. What is that expression about there being no mistakes, just design opportunities?Overall it all worked just fine and I am really happy with how the dress looks now. I used a border print jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics (again!) and used the band placement shown on dress 117 as inspiration for using the border on the sleeves as well as the bottom of the dress. As it turned out that was the only problem and the fit elsewhere was good.
(Those weird lumps on the hips are just where the padding on my dressform comes to an abrupt halt! Not that the real thing is much better, ha).
Thank you to my lovely enabling readers regarding the need for red shoes. Not that I needed much more encouragement, but they would also go nicely with this dress too so are definitely on my shopping list now. Somehow I seem to have suddenly caught a cold so unfortunately they will also match my nose rather well at the moment too!