Pages

Wednesday 3 September 2008

Hot Patterns Riviera 1,2,3 Times a T-shirt

Amazingly I have managed to make 4 new items in the last couple of weeks. I am off to the UK tomorrow for a couple of weeks to visit my family and friends so I am going to try out the new blogger feature that enables you to publish posts in the future. If it doesn't work then there will be a bumper crop of posts when I get back.

First up is this t shirt pattern which includes 3 options all based on designer t shirts although they all have the same basic body shape.

I decided to make the pieced version first, from some very soft red jersey. I have lots of this so was happy to use it as a wearable muslin. Ideally you would use a coverstitch machine to make this, but if you don't have one, HP suggests using a serger with wrong sides of the fabric together to make the seam and them pressing to one side and stitching it down. I tried a few samples of this, but my very soft jersey just didn't want to sew up in a nice straight line so I chickened out and just did regular seams instead. I could have added topstitching instead, but chose not to. So basically I could have saved myself a ton of time and made up the non pieced t shirt, but never mind!


I really wasn't too sure about this pattern while I was making it and feared it would be very boxy and shapeless. However, the wide slashed neckline an drapy sleeves balance out the boxiness of the t shirt and although it's still a different style for me, I like it and will definitely try out the other versions. I may even try this version again with the proper seam treatment in some heavier jersey.

13 comments:

  1. This turned out lovely and not boxy at all - in fact, it's quite cute, I like the colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the neckline of this shirt! It looks fabulous on you and the color is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this a lot! Of course it is my favorite color, but the style is something I'd probably skip over. You look perfect in it - not boxy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may not be your style but it fits your VERY well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this top! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, nice! I will have to take a look at this pattern. Love the red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The style lines still show up nicely. Pretty cute. Enjoy the break back home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! the drape of the neckline/shoulders is sooo flattering...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute top! I love the neckline.

    Dmd

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks awesome one you! It's a very stylish top, well done!

    ReplyDelete