Pages

Friday 24 December 2010

It's a Cosmopolitan Christmas!

I have made not one, but two knit dresses since my last post. This is one of them, the Hot Patterns Cosmopolitan dress. I'm not sure why it has taken so long for me to make this, I love it and will definitely be adding another version or two to my wardrobe soon.


I made the mock wrap shorter version with scarf sleeves (although I stitched them up) and since I was using a knit, omitted the back zipper and cut the back pieces on the fold. Based on the measurements on the pattern I traced a size 12 which turned out to be far too big in the bodice, but I was able to alter it by wrapping the fronts tighter and taking out about 4 inches in the side seams and removing a lot of ease from the sleeve cap. Next time I will trace an 8 and see how that compares to my finished dress.

The fabric is a purple and white knit print I got at Elliott Berman when I was in New York. I always had a wrap style dress in mind for the fabric - or I may have stolen that idea from Elizabeth who also bought some of the same fabric.



My other dress is the red Vogue 1191 I've been planning which I will wear to a christmas day lunch with friends so I will get some photos before I stuff myself with turkey. I'm wearing it with these tasteful accessories.....

Happy holidays everyone!

20 comments:

  1. The dress is just lovely!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the best dresses! This is another pretty one. Can't wait to see a photo of you with these false eyelashes;)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Alison, I always read your blog, I liked very much her dress, very elegant and good fit. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Hugs

    Eilane - Brazil

    (sorry for any mistake, I'm using a google translator)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dress! Looks like a pattern that would be terrific in many fabrics. Love those eyelashes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress! Looks like a pattern that would be terrific in many fabrics. Love those eyelashes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those eyelashes are crazy! Another gorgeous dress - fantastic style and fabric. Have a lovely Christmas Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great (and comfy-looking) dress. Perfect for the holiday season.

    I really like the scoop neck version of this dress on the pattern envelope - I may have to pick this pattern up.

    Looking forward to seeing the red dress. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress. I have been dying to use that fabric too. Great pattern choice for it. :) Happy holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adore the lashes! Very tasteful..Merry, merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress --- I like the wrap style with that fabric. Your cat seems to approve! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great dress, I've not made that one, either. Love, love, love those lashes, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I wish I had lashes like those! And your Cosmo dress is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely dress.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely, swishy dress. Faux wraps are the best. I like your subdued accessories. They will look great with Christmas crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely dress and great in the print.
    Happy holidays and Sparkly Christmas:) to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fake eyelashes -- SO MUCH FUN! And with that dress? Festive, indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great dress - don't you just love easy and comfy knit dresses in the winter?

    ReplyDelete