Pages

Saturday 13 April 2013

BurdaStyle 03/2013 - 109 Lace Skirt

One of my recent fabric purchases was some mint green cotton lace which I fell in love with despite not really being either a lace or pastel person.  So I wanted to use the fabric in a way that was me and decided on a simple skirt from BurdaStyle 03/2013 - 109, underlined in black silk satin.


I did have moments of thinking it looked a bit like a crocheted tablecloth from my 70's childhood, but now it is finished I am really pleased with it.



I used interlining rather than lining so that you would not see any of the seams through the lace so although this is a simple skirt it was a bit time consuming.  (I didn't use Burda's instructions which from a quick glance I think have you put strips of the lining fabric on the edges of the lace and then make a lining as normal.)  I used the same method Amanda did when she made her lace skirt, except I didn't add a lining as well, instead just hand stitching the seam allowances to the interlining for a neat finish on the inside.  Since the interlining hangs free at the hem and is shorter than the skirt to allow the lace to show at the hem, handling the interlining at the bottom of the side seams was a bit fiddly and had to be finished by hand, mine is a bit wonky on the inside.



Instead of adding a waistband I fused a piece of stay tape to the top of the skirt, stitched on some grosgrain ribbon, folded it over and hand stitched it to the interlining.



The only other change I made was to peg in the hem a bit, I did my best to match the pattern at the side seams, but fit was a bigger priority so it isn't perfect, but definitely good enough as you can see from the photo of the seam on the inside above.

Despite the fact this is a lace skirt I think it will be wearable either dressed up or down.  Here is the dressed up version - I wore the skirt last night to a Chinese wedding reception with a black silk jacket (Butterick 5186, now out of print - wow, I made this 5 years ago!) and a mint green necklace.








40 comments:

  1. Congratulations, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a lovely skirt (so is the blouse). Great idea to underline it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look just perfect. I like the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it and I agree with you it can be played up or down :-) I also really like your outfit for the reception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skirt is georgous and absolute perfect and so elegant and you matched the perfect shoes and a perfect blouse to make it a very stylish and not too madame-like outfit- hot!
    Best regards
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is lovely. I am a big fan of lace, so I am always happy when it is part of the latest fashion (although I admit that choosing a pattern for the lace and pattern can make or break the end result). After seeing your skirt I think I really need a lace skirt too (a dress is not enough ;)) You look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely outfit. The top is so classic, unlikely ever to date.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love the way he black satin makes the lace pop. And pegging the bottom of the skirt a little is a small but effective tweak. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty, it looks so elegant on you, very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, and such great styling! Your layered necklace picks up the bead motif int he lace. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allison it's beautiful and you styled it just perfectly with that necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great, I love this! You are so right, using lace like this makes it wearable even for a non-lace person. Great idea to use the interlining! I will definitely copy this if I ever find the right kind of lace for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful skirt. Thank you for sharing how you constructed the skirt and how you styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very chic! I love how you used the black lining to give it some edge. Beautiful skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! Love the lace you chose. I just make this skirt recently too! I agree it takes more time to finish it than you would expect, but I think the results come out quite nice. Your version looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely version of an up to the minute look. And how I miss those Chinese weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your skirt is gorgeous and unique. It looks great accessorized with the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I left quite a bunch of comments telling you how I love the garments you make, so this time I'll just say - damn you, woman, you're so lucky that you live far away, as I'd totally sneak into your house and steal everything from your closet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Simply beautiful ... J

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty skirt and a great use of the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just lovely. Thank you for the construction details too which are bookmarked already :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful outfit! I love the black under the lace and the jacket is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your dressed up photos are stunning. I have a few pieces of lace in my stash with thoughts of the same kind of skirt - thanks for the great inside out photos, it looks as pretty inside as out :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the look. Thanks for the information on your finishes. This is very helpful in case I ever get caught up with the trends!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love lace pencil skirts, but often wonder what I would wear with them. I scrolled down to the bottom of your post knowing you often include a picture of you wearing the garment. I wasn't disappointed. Your skirt looks so chic and elegant paired with the black jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very pretty. Love the contrast of the interlining - it makes the lace pop.

    ReplyDelete
  27. great skirt, Allison
    I like how your wear it, the blouse is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love, love, love this, Allison! And you look fab in it. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! So, so gorgeous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am completely and utterly in love with this skirt and its fit--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really admire your taste and skills. A lace skirt is high on my want list.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The skirt is lovely! I've been seeing a lot of lace these days and have been trying to think how I could use it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous.
    I think you need to give me style advice.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a lovely outfit. I will certainly use Amanda's method in future lace projects.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is just too pretty! I have a meter of lace, that I didn´t know what to use it for. Thank you for the inspitation!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice skirt! I just finished a lace skirt too and my teenage boys were 'oh tablecloth' too! lol until it was finished. Now they think it is stylish, just like yours.

    ReplyDelete