Pages

Thursday 8 August 2013

Burda Style Magazine - 07/2013 - 111 Faux Wrap Skirt

After the trials of the nearly doomed dress* I wanted a really simple project and I wanted to use up some very loud linen that had been in my stash a few years.

(* I really appreciated all the comments thank you, I have worn it and am quite happy with it, it's just not the dress it was supposed to be.  Like JT commented I too wonder if it is a grading issue and maybe the original designer sample they start from is fine, so if you take a small size (I usually go with a 12) you might be OK.  In any case this is definitely one to muslin before anyone cuts into their lovely silks.  If it works for you, please let me know!)

I had some reservations about this skirt, it is one of those Burda patterns that isn't much more than a rectangle and they are often disasters, but I figured at least it would be a quick disaster!






This is a faux wrap skirt - the wrap is actually just a deep fold in the front.  The back is a normal darted pencil skirt pattern piece and the front is just a very wide plain skirt front.  The original pattern has two layers which makes me think you could make it reversible if you can figure out something clever with the ties.  However it does need a press stud or hook and eye otherwise there really isn't anything to stop the fold from sliding down.





I just used a single layer of fabric and added facings to the waistband and I left the side seam pockets off.  I've also just noticed that my ties are on the wrong side, don't know what happened there.  Well, I do - Burda instructions.



Given how simple it is, it turned out alright, I'm not crazy about it and I think it will benefit from being washed a few more times to soften up the fabric a bit, but I think it will be great for pool/beach wear when you just want something simple to take you from the hotel breakfast to your sunbed and from the sunbed to the bar.  For now that's just a dream, but thanks to Google translate, this description from Burda Russia cheered me up no end.

"Charming old couple - a silk top with makeshift shoulder straps and a double skirt with a longer bottom layer of contrasting color. Wearing a skirt finished, lay in front of a deep fold and lock the strings - at the expense of the simulated odor."






20 comments:

  1. This was on my to-do list as well. I wanted to use some soft tulle paired with light weight satin I have in my stash. But I'm surprised at how straight your skirt turned out, the photo of the Burda model shows the skirt to be far more flouncy. But then again they are guilty of manipulating garments in their photoshoots to make them look better :-(
    Still I love your fabric choice and the styling with black shirt and shoes, looks very polished and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this as a maxi with the two layers but I joined them with a strip of bias binding instead of the fancy way in the instructions. I wore it without a press stud for a while and that fold does fall down and leave you very exposed! I found that I had to make sure the hip curve was exactly right to fit me to make it look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "At the expense of the simulated odor."??? Well, your skirt is a much greater success than that Google translate synopsis! I love anything black & red, and the deep crease is a great improvement over having most wrap skirt open right up when you sit down. I like it, I think you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simulated odor, indeed!

    I chuckled at "at least it would be a quick disaster" because that's exactly how I make sewing decisions at times, too! And I think this is really cute and fun for exactly what you say - breakfast/beach/casual wear. Very fun use of a loud print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I like it. Might consider one as I am desperately trying to pump out some summer items before the heat goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great skirt. Love the vibrant look of the whole outfit. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison you have a wonderful way of making fashion happen. Nice skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good pattern to showcase that lovely print, and works very well with the black.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The skirt has turned out very well, and a great use of a piece of otherwise idle fabric .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I love your loud skirt! Even given the odor!!! It really is cute, hope it grows on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab simulated odor! Oh that Google Translate had me giggling over my morning coffee :)

    Its a good relaxed casual skirt, I agree but I do love the loud fabric. I have some really drapey fabric of unknown fibre content that would work really well for a wrap skirt and you've just reminded me of it! Stash lnaguisher solution perhaps? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I have been thinking about this pattern, but I wasn't sure how it would look made up. Yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Preciosa falda!I had set at the top but now I see the skirt you made me happy! you have been great! a kiss

    cosasbutterflies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! What a perfect excuse for a vacation and the translation did make me laugh. Thanks for sharing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like it. And your loud fabric is delightful.
    This pattern is on my maybe-that-would-be-fun-to-sew list. Thanks for moving it to my casual-skirt-list (that would also be fun to sew!)
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. The picture of the skirt (the one you showed, the one of the Burda model)looks like it has a gather or maybe a pleat near the pocket. Basically it looks to be a different pattern then the one that they show in the line drawing. Makes me wonder if it's just the type of fabric they used. Maybe a Challis?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's cute. I agree that Burda instructions are pretty minimalist - I've taken to ignoring them completely and sewing on instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Allison, I’m launching a new sewing pattern line, and would like to treat you with my first pattern. If you’re interested, please email me at anajan.stepalica[at]gmail[dot]com. For more info about the pattern, feel free to visit my blog http://www.stepalica.com.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the look of this skirt. Great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really liked it - the colour, the outlook. You do have talent in choosing fabric!

    ReplyDelete