Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2013

BurdaStyle 08/2012 - 102 Dress

I'm on a bit of a doubleknit kick at the moment since I managed to pick up some nice quality fabrics in black, grey and this burgundy colour which is very much on trend for this season apparently.

I decided to make this dress for the August 2012 issue of Burda magazine.


It is surprisingly easy to put together - what I thought were going to be tricky inset corners are actually separate yoke pieces sewn on and then caught in a dart.

Make sure you label the small yoke pieces carefully so you can identify which way up they go and can tell front from back, there are some subtle differences in the shapes.

I made a size 38, going out to a 40 at the hipline which is my usual sizing in Burda and I found very few adjustments were needed, yippee!  The only changes I made were:
  • Omitted the side zipper since the fabric stretches enough that I can easily get it on over my head
  • The bodice is supposed to be lined, but as I didn't have any stretch lining to hand and the doubleknit has a decent weight on it's own I left mine unlined.
  • Shortened the dress from mid calf to just above the knee, I just felt it was more flattering at that length on me.
  • I found the neckline to be just a tiny bit low for my personal preference so I took the shoulders up a bit and took a very narrow hem at the neckline.  It's not as crazy low as some Burda necklines can be, but next time I'd just raise the neckline a bit at the cutting out stage.  Also I always forget but I think I am a little short in the upper torso so others mind find the neckline fine as it is.





The sleeves are quite dramatic and may not be to everyone's taste, but I like how they balance out my hips.  It would be easy enough to switch them to a simpler sleeve though.

I really love how this dress turned out and it goes together in no time, I really recommend it if you have this issue, I may well make this again.





31 comments:

  1. Prettily shows your hourglass figure. Is the height of that waistline seam comfortable or is it too high?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What a striking color, really shows the lines of the pattern design well. And you look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy someone finally mentioned Burda's crazy low necklines. I thought I was the only one who found it unacceptable to have my bra showing completely ;-)

    I love the alterations you've done to the dress and with this patter a doubleknit would be my first choice too.

    You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Es un gran patron!!.
    Te ha quedado genial el vestido
    Estas muy guapa
    Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I've been looking at this pattern for awhile, and I really like how your dress turned out. I also like the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dress, love how the sleeves balance your hips. The length and the neckline are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison! We have now the same dress in the same colour! By the way I wore it last year for the Christmas dinner (here we do dinner and lunch) and it was a complete success!
    My version is a bit longer but now that I see yours makes me want to make another one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress. Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love that colour, and this dress fits you so well. I agree about Burda's necklines, but then I'm altering a lot of Vogue necklines, too, these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should definitely make this again - it's uber flattering in every way! I love the dramatic sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This gives you a very va va voom shape and the color is really beautiful. Perfect for a holiday party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks fantastic, I recall seeing that pattern and thinking it was very nice. love those sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fabulous! I loved this pattern when the magazine came out and it is really nice to see it all sewn up. Your version is stunning - might have inspired me to move this up on my list of things to sew...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, I hope you make this in every colour, it suits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantasticdress, those seam lines really add interest to the front and I agree that those sleeves are eye catching but not over the top at all

    ReplyDelete
  16. You seem to share my love of Ponte! Great cut and well done on raising the neckline - Burda is risqué.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous dress!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely dress! I love that you used Ponte knit for this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a flattering dress! I especially love those sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty and flattering on you. Another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Way cuter than the pic in the Burdastyle magazine. I may need to make this one! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Va-va-va-voom, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dress highlights your lovely figure. Thank you for showing it - I wouldn't have realised all the details like the sleeve details that were in this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the dress. It fits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so wonderful! I didn't look twice at this pattern (maybe the waist looked too high in the line drawing?) but now I must have it. The fit is spot on--quite elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I somehow missed this post. I love the dress particularly the sleeves. They do balance hips, not that I think yours are all that big, quite well. I don't remember looking at this dress either but it looks like something that would work for me. This is when having a subscription pays off. I am going to dig this out and take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks fabulous on you. Great fit and color. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness! I love this dress! It's beautiful!

    And wow, you are super talented! These clothes are amazing! Keep it up, you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another fantastic dress. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Got this issue. Great dress.
    Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete