Pages

Monday 11 May 2015

Speedy Black Tie Outfit ; BurdaStyle 07/2004 - 134 Long Skirt

We were invited last minute to a ball due to a cancellation (I'm not proud, if someone wants to give me a free ticket for a do at the Four Seasons, I'm in!).  We got invited on Thursday for the event on Saturday and my first thought was that it was a shame I didn't have time to make a new outfit as I love making stuff for special occasions.

This was soon followed by an impulse to make something anyway, just a simple sheath dress, but in a great fabric, maybe a nice brocade or lace.  Before dashing off to the fabric stores I thought I had better have a dig though my stash first just to check I didn't already have anything and I remembered this amazing stretch velvet I bought in Sydney back in February.  My husband was astonished that I could have forgotten about it so quickly, but hopefully you understand better!



This fabric is a stretch embossed jersey (I think, it looks like a burnout velvet, but I think the velvet is stuck on rather than a layer being taken off, if that makes any sense) so I changed my plans completely, but still needed something quick to make and not requiring muslins or tricky fitting.  The base is a deep indigo and the velvet spots are a raspberry through purple ombre effect - really difficult to photograph, but just gorgeous.

This is what I came up with.  The skirt is from way back in the archives - 07/2004 - 134, without the godets and the top is yet another version of the one in my last post (08/2011 - 126).  I knew I could make this fast.  The skirt is part of a completely over the top outfit, but if you just focus on the line drawings it is possible to see beyond the gold satin crop top!



Despite it being a quick make, I love how it turned out.  Admittedly the fabric is doing a lot of the work, but I really like the cut of the skirt, the shaping of the centre back seam makes it drape really nicely.  The skirt is lined with a non stretch silk so I needed to insert the zipper otherwise it would have been even quicker.



The only change I made to the 3rd version of my top was to eliminate the centre front seam so I didn't have to think about matching the dots.  The pattern is quite large and I doubt I would have had enough fabric anyway.  I finished the neck edge with a drafted facing of lightweight knit lining, clipping right into the v and topstitching to keep everything in place.


I was really comfortable all night, yet felt dressed up.  I have no idea when I will get to wear the whole outfit again, but I will be able to wear the top with other bottoms for less formal occasions.



This is a snap in the hotel lobby, I wore it with black satin sandals, pink sparkly earrings and a pink satin woven clutch bag.





27 comments:

  1. The benefits of a great stash! You look fabulous and how nice to have a new outfit so quickly that looks anything but last minute. Hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that is so sleek and elegant. I would've never imagined the skirt looking like that from the line diagram. It seemed like dance gear to swirl about it but it's actually a great cocktail ensemble (possibly with the added benefit of being able to dance in it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome I love it, and you look beautiful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read about such wonderful garments created from fabric from the collection! That's when I want to stand on a chair and scream YES! Especially when you make such a stunning outfit! Hope you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic. I love that you made such a great outfit from your stash. Oh and I have that issue of burda too. I must have a closer look at that skirt pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! What a great outfit. Nice to be able to wear it as separates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! How fun to have a dressy night out. I would snap up that invitation last minute as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow very glam and compliments on the speed sewing - what a great way to use that unusual fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect paring of fabric and pattern. Quick makes are good as you have to make it work and quickly. The outfit and you look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fabulous! I bet you received lots of comments when people found out you made the outfit!!! in 2 days!!

    And what an eye you have that you saw what that fabric could do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, clever you! I would never be brave enough to start on such a gorgeous outfit with only a couple of days....it would have taken me at least that long to choose a pattern! Very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Divine!!! That skirt!! Well created :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic outfit! It looks wonderful on you and that fabric is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have used this fabric to perfect, you need to show it to Pitt Trading, I'm sure Maria will know how.

    Your outfit is very vavoom and good to hear it was comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant use of that fabric. I Am sure you will wear the top to make other combinations, but it would be wonderful to have the opportunity to wear the whole thing again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not proud either. Great outfit and doesn't give off any made in a rush vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Allison. Your outfit looks amazing. You picked a great skirt style and a top that works.
    It really is a gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Allison, Two of the reasons I follow your blog are:

    -- you pair patterned fabrics to styles so well;
    -- you assess deadlines and select appropriate patterns for the deadline;

    the TWO things I aspire to!

    Great glam outfit on a tight time frame. And I love your using your proven top pattern again in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! The fabric is so wonderful and perfect for the patterns you chose. It looks so elegant. I'm not proud either -- hope you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your black tie outfit is really unique and beautiful. Teaming a fabulous fabric with a simple flattering style is always a winning combo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous. Simple and glamorous on short notice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Three cheers for last-minute sewing! (Is there anything more thrilling than the instant gratification of making an outfit for an upcoming event?) You look gorgeous in your outfit--the fabric is beautiful and the silhouette is timeless and flattering. I just stumbled across your blog and I love your style--you have made so many beautiful garments!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful dress. The fabric is suitable for the simple dress. Some accessories like bracelet or necklace are good.

    My Blog | certificate of tesol

    ReplyDelete