Pages

Monday 9 June 2008

The dress that wasn't

My most recent sewing goals were hardly the most challenging - use fabric stash, use new patterns and avoid black.  And yet here we have another version of New Look 6729, in a tan, black and gold jersey print, but at least the fabric is from my stash.   
Originally I was going to use the fabric to make this dress from BWOF 05/05, but realised I preferred to have wider straps to avoid any underwear issues.  I did try to redraft the pattern, but I wasn't happy with the results in a muslin and thought I could just use a different wrap jersey top instead which is where NL6729 came in as it has similar wrap front sections, but with covered shoulders.
However once I got going I decided I preferred to keep it as a top and I'm still not sure what to do with the skirt portion.  I think the print is a bit busy to wear head to toe now that I have abandoned the strappy bodice. This was really quick to make though and will go with a lot of things already in my wardrobe.























My June BWOF came yesterday at last and I think I am going to make these pieces next in some co-ordinating fabrics if I can manage to stick to my plans for more than 5 minutes!



9 comments:

  1. ove the skirts and that top
    i am planning to make that... maybe this weekend if I get the time
    hopefully you can stay on board with your plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top in lovely fabric. The skirt with large bow is on my wish list too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top came out beautifully! I liked those patterns also when my June issue finally came. My favorite is the skirt on the left with the side bow/tie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That top is really cute! I like those models from the June BWOF, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric is just so appealing. Could you make the skirt section into a skirt and then on occasion wear it with the top as a dress? Or just as a skirt with a black or white tshirt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful top!
    You've picked up my favorite models from the June BWOF issue!

    ReplyDelete