Pages

Thursday 22 March 2012

McCall's 6163 Knit Dress

This is one of the new dress patterns I purchased recently - McCall's 6163 mock wrap dress - originally because I planned to make a long sleeve version, but I was too slow for that so it is fortunate that this pattern has a few sleeve variations.


Gail warned me in the earlier comments that in the wrong fabric the front can look a bit sad and droopy, while the reviews over at Pattern Review mostly said it made up unusually small for a McCall's and to go up a size.  I mostly use either BurdaStyle magazine or Vogue patterns and while you might expect Vogue and McCall's to fit the same since they are the same company my limited experience with McCall's has shown that is not the case at all.  

Anyway, long story short, my experience was similar to Gail's, I cut a 14 rather than my usual Vogue 12 and it was huge everywhere.  I took in every seam, including the raglan sleeve seams, a lot to make this wearable.  I'd say it is about a 10 now with smaller sleeves - I remembered to make the adjustments to the pattern pieces for next time so I can make use of the other sleeve options sometime.


After all the messing about with the neckline the collar needed a lot of adjusting too and mostly due to laziness I just used the collar band pieces to make a mandarin style collar and left off the collar itself.  The belt doesn't do anything and can be removed, but I think it kind of adds to the illusion of a real wrap.

Close up of the fabric, burgundy and cream geometric print with metallic gold edging from Fabric.com



The dress looks a lot more flattering in the indoor photos, I think because the sun is casting such strong shadows in the outdoor one, but mustn't complain about that!

Yay - the sun is back!

25 comments:

  1. Good save! It's a very flattering style. The mandarin style collar works well even if it wasn't what you intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic in this dress! Like a perfect hour glass. It really suits you. There are more shadows in the outdoor picture, but you still look really pretty. I like the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really nice made up, and that style really suits you.
    louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very flattering on you! Inside and outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad about the dress starting out so large, but you made a great save. You look super fab in the improved, smaller version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice save on the dress and I like the belt with it, you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress! I'm glad you just reviewed this since it is next in my que after a dress for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fabulous! It fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good save! I love the finished dress, and the fabric is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look positively sleek!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about it, you were right to persevere. I actually have this pattern (I think). Will take another look at it, with your experience in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The style and the fit looks great on you despite all you did to make the dress fit. I like the mandarin collar and I almost prefer it to the original pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice save! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this dress! I'm going to have to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That dress looks good indoors and outdoors! I like the belt, it adds a little movement.
    And the scale of the print is so pretty in that dress.
    Another winner, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dress! I have this one in my stash as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it looks great indoors and out! The fit of the Big 4 is always a crapshoot/mystery. I think I have this one--I'll try to do some flat-pattern measuring when I get around to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you've done well with this pattern. I need to unpick mine to bring it back to shape after the first wash!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look great in this. You definitely know how to pick dresses that flatter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's lovely! The sash does give the illusion of a wrap dress, and this one is very flattering on you. Good save, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You always get such a great fit. Love the neckline and collar.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely summer dress. I had the same experiance as you did with the sizing... huge. Great idea to just go with the collar band. The two piece collar in a knit fabric is a bit heavy and floppy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great dress and blog! some great ways of adapting patterns. Inspiring me to sew!

    ReplyDelete