Pages

Saturday 27 June 2015

BurdaStyle 03/2014 - 104 Skirt

I'd wanted to make this skirt for a while and tested it out in some cotton twill left over from another pair of Thread Theory Jedediah shorts for my husband.  Not going to bore you with a third pair of those, but I promise you we will never wear our matching outfits at the same time!



I got thoroughly confused putting this together and I am convinced that the technical drawing is wrong, but the pattern pieces are correct.  I think that the image on the left above is the back and on the right is how the front should look, with the zip switched to the left side.  So watch out for this if you make this pattern up.





I also found that it is very close fitting in the hips, I had to let the seams out in the front and I still don't have the fit right there as you can see from the wrinkles I am getting across the front as soon as I don't stand like a soldier, but I ran out of fabric.  I do like the skirt so I'll cut wider seam allowances next time, go up a size or look into full front thigh adjustments.  I even tried it on backwards in case my theory on the technical drawing error was garbage, but that made things worse!

I'm wearing it with the Style Arc Madeleine top which I was a bit non plussed about when I made it, but now I love it and wear it all the time.  I think I just got annoyed with having to fuss around with the band, but it's amazing what a bit of time in the old magic closet can do.



Photobombed!



19 comments:

  1. Love the whole outfit! And good to know about the tech drawing. I traced this out last month but have yet to sew it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Va voom, very smart and interesting about the technical drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skirt and top combo looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt works so well in that stripe. Great skirt and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh haha, the magic closet for the win! Cannot tell you HOW many times I have put something in the back of mine that I was annoyed about, only to get it out months later and not recall what I was so upset about. The skirt is a really fun design and the stripes really highlight the interesting construction. I love the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great skirt- it looks really good on you! Thanks for the info about the tech drawings and the fit. This one is one my "someday" list and I'll make a note of that info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this skirt. It's on my to sew list too. Your version in stripes is great, and the whole effect with the style arc top is very smart. Thanks for the heads up about the tech drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little flare at the hem of the skirt and it's a great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This skirt has so much style & you did such a great job. Your post is bringing me closer to trying a Burda pattern - great job

    ReplyDelete
  10. That skirt is really cute! I have added this purse to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great skirt. I love the flounce at the hemline. And making it in stripes was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this skirt. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great skirt and works well with the top

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought this issue pretty much for just this skirt...but I still haven't gotten around to it. It looks great, even when you aren't standing like a soldier, love the flouncyness at the back ;) and thanks for pointing out the tech drawing error.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see what you mean about the drawing and real skirt. I like your version though. The whole outfit works really well:)

    ReplyDelete