Pages

Saturday 27 June 2015

BurdaStyle 06/2013 - 111B Shorts

I don't often make or wear shorts for the very simple reason that I don't look very good in them, but on vacation I chill out a bit and care much less about these things!  So I decided to add a new pair in a colour to my extensive 2 pair shorts wardrobe!

I used this basic pattern from 06/2013 - 111 in a bright orangy red lightweight cotton sateen.  I think it is a bit too lightweight for this pattern and the legs stick out wider than the line drawing would suggest, also due to the fabric choice I suspect. I might take them in or I might just accept that these won't get worn very often and perhaps try them in a better fabric.  They also wrinkle like crazy.  That sounds like a lot of complaints, but I think the pattern is good and well drafted.

I left off the back welt pockets which just seemed like too much work when I'd never use them.  Wish I had put in side seam pockets though.  Fit wise they are to Burda's usual great standard for pants, I cut my usual 38 at the waist, 40 elsewhere and didn't need to make any other adjustments.  Once you've omitted the pockets, construction is really easy and these did not take long to make at all.


Here are some pics of me wearing the same outfit on a recent short trip to Hoi An in Vietnam for my birthday.   I have to admit that I am not so mad on my striped top now that I see it in photos, unless you are close enough to see the knot detail, the stripes do make me look a bit lopsided!  So not quite an outfit fail, but not one I can get overly excited about.  The holiday was lovely though!




8 comments:

  1. Love how vibrant the shorts are. Ho An has changed beyond recognition. I was there 21 years ago (pre-tourism).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shorts. I loooved the shirt on the dress form andnit may look different irl, but here on the pics it emphasizes your right boob in a weird way. This is more of a private comment so feel free to delete it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No lin3arossa, I totally agree with you, that's what I meant when I said it made me look lopsided unless you are close up, maybe I was being a bit coy and vague about it!! Funny how you only see these things in photos sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they're cute! I also have only 2 pairs of shorts and have been thinking about another pair. It's hot and shorts feel good! What a lovely vacation spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bright shorts and i need to add some to my summer wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a great pair of shorts! They are so cheery and summery in a gorgeous colour. Do you know, the last time I wore shorts was 12 years ago......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great vacation wear. That pool shot is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete