Pages

Sunday 4 September 2011

Burda Style 05/2011 104 Dress

(With obi style belt from Burda Style 06/2009 - 110.)

You already saw a preview of this dress in my Singapore post (which it has come to my attention should have been called Self Stitched Singapore, not me made, but never mind!).  This is the dress version of the tunic top I made previously - Burda Style 05/2011 104.




It's a very basic dress but ideal for so many occasions and is made from black stretch silk, I've already worn it many times.  Instead of my usual tie belt I made an obi style belt which suddenly seem to be everywhere and liked it so much I went out and purchased two more (from Zara I think) so I can change the look depending on my mood.  

One is black leather with bronze studs in it and the other has grey python print and red ties for a pop of colour.  I have to confess I have discovered that obi belts can make you very hot, but they do encourage you to sit up straight as well!  I plan to wear these belts with different tops and jackets if it ever gets cooler.

 Obi belt pattern from BS 06/2009 - 110, the mid section is interlined with stiff canvas.

You've already seen the casual dressed down with flats version so here it is marginally more dressed up and with different belts.  As always with black (and my lousy photos) it is hard to see the details - sorry!

With the matching belt I made.

With the leather studded belt.

With the grey / red python belt.



22 comments:

  1. I really like your dress and I feel the same way about Obi belts! They rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress is lovely Allison ( as always ;-) ) I love those Obi belts they do seem to match a wide variety of outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your perfect black dress is so versatile - great idea to give it different looks by changing belts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute dress - charming and the fit is fantastic! And, I think I'm in love with your belts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much is stretch silk there? Just want to compare prices. And where do you buy your fabric?
    I love the dress, as usual, it has style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very smart and versatile. You and Eugenia are "frock queens".

    ReplyDelete
  7. The obi belt really makes it special. Think I like the matching one best but they're all good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your dress - it looks fantastic on you, and the obi belt is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dress! Fabulous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's very pretty. Love the Obi belt look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed you are The Frock Queen.
    I LOVE it.
    From,
    The Frock Follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute dress and I love how you used the different belts to achieve different looks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful, I love the simplicity of it, I know you love this dress, I can see it in your face

    ReplyDelete
  14. A perfect little black dress for summer. It's very flattering and also versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress makes you look really thin! It looks very versatile and easily dressed up and down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice dress. It may is simple but looks great on you and will surely get a lot of wear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tres chic! This is something you can pull out for just about any occasion. And yes, an obi does make you sweat! (Or at least me.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking dress. Love the style options of the obi belts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great dress on you Allison.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely dress! Good job too! You look great in it. I can't help but ask, the stiff canvas part, doesn't it bend when you're sitted or do you always sit upright (which I can't do for too long!)?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks everyone - Maria, yes it does wrinkle a bit and needs a press after wearing. I do wear the belt quite high which helps a bit, but no sadly my sitting posture is not brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one fabulous lbd! The obi belt is fun, too.

    ReplyDelete